chapter 23 - yes

𝐘/𝐍

Louis and I have been in an awkward stage since the kiss. We both know we like each other, but neither of us have said it out loud. We haven't seen each other since then, and we've talked minimally over text. 

I don't have the courage to tell him, even though I'm sure he knows. I'm scared it'll ruin our friendship, and I don't want to lose him. But i don't like the weird stage we're in. 

______________________________________________________

I wake up to my alarm ringing, and go through my morning routine to get ready for class. I have the rest of my classes this week. 

Which means Science with Louis. And James. 

I walk in just before the bell and take a seat. Moments later, Louis walks in. He spots me, smiles, and takes a seat beside me. I smile back at him. He's wearing the new shirt i insisted he get, a striped red sweatshirt, and blue jeans. He looks perfect. 

I say "Good morning."

He smirks his cheeky, adorable, smirk at me and responds "Good morning."

Then the teacher starts talking, and for the next hour, we watch Bill Nye on the screen. I almost forget about James being in this class, until an hour later, when the teacher is mid-sentence, and he strides into the room. 

He sits on the pair desk closest to me and Louis and gives us a smirk. 

We look at each other and sigh, then return to watching the video on the screen. 

I'm so done with boys.

______________________________________________

My classes for the day end, and I sit with Olivia, Evelyn, Louis and Aidan at my lunch table. Olivia and Evelyn are talking about me, and Evelyn is telling her stories from our childhood, whilst Louis and Aidan listen intently. 

I cover my face and groan. "Oh, Ev! Shut up!" I laugh. 

As i say this, Louis looks at me. "I'm going outside for a bit. Anyone want to come with me?" 

I nod and stand quickly, grateful to leave the embarrassment. 

We make our way to the Koi pond, like always, and when we reach there, i gasp silently and stop walking. 

There's a picnic blanket laid out where we usually sit, with 2 giant cupcakes on pale blue plates.

 There are flowers laid out, roses, and tulips, brightly colored. There are some twinkle lights, shining in the sunset behind. It's so pretty that I want to snap a picture, but I don't. I look at Louis, who is continuing to walk towards it. 

I quickly sprint and grab his arm. "Louis! Are you crazy?" I pull him back. "Stop ruining their moment!" 

He stops and stares at me. "You idiot."

"What?"

He takes me by hand and walks me towards it. "It would be nice if you'd have a seat." he laughs when i just stand there. 

I reluctantly sit down and look at him as he gets comfortable on the blanket.

I stare at him as he struggles to find his words. He looks awfully nervous, rubbing the back of his neck and smiling at me weakly. 

Finally, he looks at the pond and starts. "So. Y/N."

"Louis." 

"I think we both know that we like each other. But," he chuckles. "One of us has got to say it. So I will.

I like you, Y/N. I like you're sense of humor, i like that you're caring. I like your voice. Everything about you." he look at me nervously.

I smile and blush a deep shade of red. I can't even believe this is happening right now. 

After a moment of silence, i finally say "I like you too, Louis." 

He laughs softly and then smiles a nervous smile. 

"I want to take the next step with you. I want to be with you. 

Y/N, will you be my girlfriend?" he pulls a small box out from under the picnic blanket and holds it in his hand. 

This all feels unreal. I like Louis so much and i want to be with him, too. But is this actually happening? Is this a trick? 

I subtly pinch myself to see if i'm dreaming. I'm not. 

I beam at him and say "Yes, you idiot!" i jump up from my spot and hug him tight. 

He smiles at me and hands me the box. "Open it." 

I take of the packaging and open it. It's a charm bracelet, with a koi charm on it. There's also a coffee charm, a bus charm, a dress, and heart. "Oh, thank you, Louis! It's beautiful!"

He takes it from my hand and puts it on me. "A koi for the pond, where our friendship started. A coffee for the place we first met. A bus for the place you fell asleep on me, a dress for when we went shopping. And a heart, because, well. Because I like you." he says, while putting it on me. 

"It's perfect." I look up and we make eye contact for a long moment. Then we lean into each other, and our lips touch. 

We hear cheering from behind the wisteria tree by us, and a crowd walks out from behind it. Evelyn, Aidan, Olivia, and all of Louis' friends. We laugh. 

"Chill guys, he didn't propose." i say with a smile. 

Evelyn runs over to me and squeals. "I'm so happy for you, Y/N! You deserve this." she gives my hands a squeeze. 

Moments later, everyone piled onto the picnic blanket, and the cupcakes, which were left untouched, were now being devoured by 9 people. 

We talk til late and bask in the sunset until the mosquitoes start to eat us alive. 

The most magical evening I've had at this school so far. 

We make our way inside, and I say goodnight to Louis with another kiss. 

"Goodnight, Y/N." he says, beaming. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I see Lilly Everitt watching. Her mascara is running down her cheeks in big, black splotches.