chapter 29 - for our sake

𝐘/𝐍

At a little more than half past 11 that same night, Louis walks me back to the girls dorms. 

We spent a good while at the butterfly conservatory. It was so splendid, and there was so much to see. I didn't want to leave. But eventually, the place closed for the night, so we had to. 

Then Louis and I decided we'd watch the new Minions movie. We bought a bunch of candy from a nearby convenience store and smuggled it into the theater in my purse. 

Then we Ubered home, and here we are, walking back to my dorm room, hand in hand. 

When we finally get there, i stand in front of the door and say "I had a lot of fun with you today, Louis." 

He grins and responds "Me too."

I give him a quick peck on his cheek and say "Goodnight."

He blushes a deep shade of red and stutters "Goodnight." back in response. 

He's the cutest thing I've ever seen. 

Since we had a bunch of candy and soda, I decide to brush my teeth. 

Evelyn is already fast asleep when i get in the room, and i decide not to wake her. Tomorrow is Saturday, I'll have all day to tell her. 

I change into my pajamas and relax for a bit, checking my notifications, and then grab my toothbrush and walk towards the bathroom.

As i approach, I start to hear voices. At first, I don't think much of it. It's not 12 yet. There must be loads of girls awake. Then I realize every single light is off. 

I check the time on my phone. It reads 1:09 a.m, Saturday, September 21st. 

My eyes widened. Partially because it didn't feel like i was sitting on my phone for that long, and also partially because I couldn't believe it was already the 21st. The month went by too quickly. 

I walk slowly towards the bathroom, fearing that I would find Lilly and Caroline there again. 

I was half right. Caroline is there. But Lilly isnt. She's with another girl. I've never seen her before, but I envy her right away. Her black hair falls in curls at her back, and her dark skin glows in the moonlight. 

Why is it that every girl associated with Lilly Everitt is so beyond beautiful?

"I don't get it, Caroline. Just tell her to get back with James. It'll make her more popular. And it's what she wants, deep down." the girl says. 

I don't know who she's talking about, but i make an assumption that it's Lilly. 

Caroline shakes her head. "No, Nia. It's not that easy. She thinks he's gonna be the same exact person that he was in Year 10." 

The girl, who I'm assuming is named Nia, scoffs. "Of course he is. But she's at stake here. That girl, Evelyn or Evie or something, had made her look bad. Everyone knows what she did to Lilly."

I blush hard. I didn't know that so many people knew about Evelyn's feat. That means they must know why it was done. 

Because of me. 

"She knows. But she's just going through a lot right now, Nia. She can't handle this."

Nia frowns. "Well, if she's at stake, we all are. Tell her to figure it out before all of us fall with her." She walks away, and i quickly pretend to be just getting there now. 

She glares at me and walks right by. 

Caroline still doesn't know of my presence. When i get to the bathroom, she's standing in front of the door, on her phone. 

"Go right ahead." she mumbles half heartedly when she spots me. 

I ignore her comment and walk in to brush my teeth. 

When i exit the bathroom, Caroline isn't there anymore. 

I walk back to my dorm with my guard up. 

Once i close the door and lock it, my shoulders relax a little bit. Caroline scares the life out of me. 

I climb up the ladder and lay down on my bed. I get comfy. The comfiest I could probably ever be on the cheap mattress I have. But I still can't sleep. 

I keep thinking about what Caroline and Nia were talking about. 

They wanted Lilly and James to get back together. But why?

They were mentioning something about popularity. Apparently it'll get Lilly more of it? But why would she need more? She's the most popular Year 12 girl in the school. Or maybe even just the most popular girl overall.

Is this because of Evelyn slapping Lilly?

Is this all Evelyn's doing?

It all starts to click in my head the longer i think. 

When Evelyn slapped Lilly, and news got out, It made people think they could stand up to Lilly too. 

Which made Lilly, and her whole friend group, lose major "popularity points."

So it is all Evelyn's doing. 

This is all what i guessed off of just one small conversation i overheard. 

Imagine the results we could find if we heard a whole, thorough conversation. I could probably find out everything I need to know. 

Honestly, I don't care about anything Caroline, Lilly, Nia, or any of the girls in their group have planned. I just care about Evelyn and Louis. I don't want anything to become spoiled again because of them.

I want to look out for Evelyn. The same way she looked out for me when she slapped Lilly. 

That slap was on my behalf. I cannot and will not bear it if Evelyn suffers the consequences. 

If we go down, then we go down together. 

For our sake.