01. The Proposal

August 16th, 1533
Papal States

Walking through the corridors of the Palazzo Apostolico, the young Caterina di Medici couldn't help but wonder why her uncle, His Holiness, the Holy Father, wanted to see her so soon. She could only assume the worst, as hasty news usually brought only bad luck. She wondered if anything had happened to her kinsmen.

Upon reaching the large doors of her uncle's study, she motioned to the two footmen to open them. Both guards bowed their heads at the sight of the young Lady Caterina and complied.

Catherine entered the study, ignoring her uncle's secretary who greeted her, and instead walked over to her uncle, who was sitting on a chair by the window. She fell to her knees to kiss his ring.

Pope Clement, originally named Giulio di Medici, smiled at his niece and said, "Please stand up, Caterina. I have good news to share with you."

Immediately, a heavy burden was lifted from Catherine's shoulders. Nothing was wrong, and she didn't have to worry anymore.

"Please tell me the good news, I'm bursting with curiosity, uncle," she said as she rose and faced the Holy Father.

"You will marry the Prince of France," he announced, a smile appearing on his face at the sight of Catherine's happy expression.

It hadn't taken him much time and effort to arrange this marriage with the French King Francis. As soon as he announced that he was looking for a husband for his dearest niece, suitors lined up for the young lady's hand.

The King of Scots had even asked for her hand, but when Francis offered his second son, he immediately rejected all the others. France was what he wanted and needed, and the marriage would serve them both well.

Catherine was French on her mother's side and had been allowed to take the title of Countess of Auvergne when she was only a few years old. She was even distantly related to the French king, which would only make the marriage better.

With Catherine at the French court, Clement hoped to regain his power as pope little by little. He had already betrothed his nephew, Caterina's brother, to the daughter of the Holy Roman Emperor a year earlier, thus having the two most powerful empires on the continent on his side.

"Will I really marry a prince? What kind of match can I be for someone of royal blood?" Catherine said, still a little surprised.

Not even in her greatest dreams did she think she would have such a marriage. She had expected to marry one of her relatives, like her nephew Cosimo di Medici; after all, that was what she had learned. She hadn't known that her uncle had actually been looking for someone of a higher rank.

"You are the most worthy wife for the prince. In fact, you will marry the second prince, the Duke of Orleans, not the Crown Prince. You will be a princess and duchess in addition to your own title as countess," Pope Clement explained.

"I have already asked your aunt and the Marchioness of Mantua to prepare your trousseau for you. You will receive a complete new wardrobe with accompanying jewels. You will need a court with Italian women of noble descent. Do you wish for anything else?" said the Holy Father, already calculating the costs and realizing that the money would have to come from the Papal accounts. He might have to borrow money from the rich lords around Italy.

Catherine shook her head. "I'm perfectly satisfied," she said happily. Clement nodded. "You will be excused then. I have already informed your governess, and she will discuss the important matters with you."

Catherine nodded and sank into a deep curtsy before leaving the room.

She hurried to her room where her governess was already waiting for her. Laura Caetani had been responsible for Caterina since she was an infant. She had been present at her birth and hadn't left Catherine's side since then. She had not had any children of her own, having been widowed at the young age of seventeen and never remarried. She had always thought of Catherine as her own daughter, knowing her old mistress, Madeleine de la Tour Auvergne, would have wanted that. She would have wanted her daughter to grow up safely, receive a proper education, and have a good marriage.

Laura had only failed at one thing, much to her own chagrin.

"Caterina, it looks like you've received the news of His Holiness, haven't you?" she asked the young lady with a smile.

Catherine nodded enthusiastically as she sat down at the edge of her bed. "Can you believe it? I will marry a prince! I never expected that. My lady aunt and the Marquise of Mantua will prepare my trousseau, and I will have to make new dresses, said Uncle."

She jumped up from the bed again. "And I'm getting my own ladies, although I'd rather have just one lady-in-waiting. I'm sure I'll have more ladies-in-waiting in France, don't you think?"

Laura laughed at Catherine's enthusiasm. Catherine was always quick to overwhelm herself with important matters like this, and she couldn't be calmed down easily.

"Everything will be arranged according to your wishes, Caterina. We still have plenty of time to prepare everything for your departure," Laura reassured her. She walked over to her and swept her loose hair behind her ears. "Everything will be perfect for my perfect girl."