33. Destiny

Tw: Miscarriage, mentioning of blood

17th of January, 1536, Paris

Hours later, Catherine was back in the great hall where they had moved after the banquet. The hall was packed again like the night before and the hall was filled with the sound of music, laughter and chatter.

Catherine sat alone on the dais in a chair, watching Henri and Madeleine dance together. The rest of the family had also spread out over the hall and the English royal couple and Scottish royal couple had also left the comfortable chairs and mingled with the people.

Catherine clutched a handkerchief in her hands and occasionally dabbed the beads of sweat from her face. She had been feeling terribly hot all afternoon and during dinner and couldn't wait to go back to bed in her cool nightgown.

Prince Francis ascended the dais and sat down next to Catherine with a glass.

"What are you doing here all alone?" he asked surprised. "I'm pregnant, I can't dance." Catherine said in a hoarse voice.

"As you can see, dear sister, I have recovered from the night I had yesterday."  Francis said cheerfully. "Thanks to you, dear sister, may god bless you."

Catherine nodded softly. She felt another wave of dizziness wash over her and staggered briefly in the chair she was sitting on.

"Are you quitte all right?" Francis asked worriedly as he grabbed Catherine's arm.  He looked at her now pale face, which had developed bright red spots, and could immediately see that something was wrong with his sister-in-law.

"I feel a little unwell." Catherine admitted softly, squinting at the sensation of a stab of pain in her womb.

"Should I fetch Henri?" Francis asked, already scanning the room for his younger brother. "No!" Catherine cried, she didn't want to ruin Henri's evening with her pregnancy ailments. "Help me to the corridor and fetch my ladies-in-waiting, they will help me further."

Francis nodded and helped Catherine to her feet as they walked along the sides of the room towards the door.

With every few steps, Catherine felt the pain in her stomach grow worse and she began to fear the worst.

She felt herself losing the strength in her own legs and she slumped to the ground, hitting the tiles hard.

"Catherine!" exclaimed Francis. He knelt down next to the now unconscious Catherine. "Help her!"

It wasn't long before the music stopped playing and Francis and Catherine were surrounded by curious people wanting to know what had happened to the Duchess.

Laura pushed through the crowd. She knelt beside Catherine. With her hands she gently slapped Catherine's face to awaken her, but in vain there was no response.

Camilla, Jacqueline, and Marie gathered around them. "Pick her up and take her to the room!" Someone yelled

Jacqueline let out a scream as she held her hand out from under Catherine's legs.

Her hands were red from the blood that came out from under Catherine.

"The child..." Henri stammered when he saw the blood on Jaqcueline's hand. He looked back at his wife, who was slowly waking up. "Take her back to her rooms.  Quick!" cried King Francis.

The guards lifted Catherine and took her, followed by her ladies-in-waiting, Henri, the Queen and Madeleine, to her chambers.

A trail of blood followed them and so did the frightened eyes of the court.