4. Lorenzo

October 20th, 1533
Papal States

Supervising the maids packing her belongings. She couldn't believe that today would be her last day here in Rome, the place she'd been allowed to call home for years.

Laura walked into the room and stared at the maids quietly packing. "Would you like to spend the whole day packing? Make haste!" she exclaimed annoyed.

She walked over to Catherine who was lying on her stomach on her bed with an open book in front of her, which she clearly hadn't been reading since she had been staring so intently at the maids.

She pulled the book from Catherine's hands and looked at the cover. She wrinkled her nose.

"How many times have I told you not to read Machiavelli's books? You are a lady and should read only the appropriate books for women, His Holiness would not be pleased if he found out that you read these kinds of books." she said with horror.

Catherine sighed. "Many times you have said that, Laura. Being in my role as a woman is already different from that of men, should I also be holding myself back from learning about what little politics I can study?" she asked. "You surely thought me better than not to educate myself?" She continued.

"I did teach you better, I only wish you were more discreet. The Holy Father may have authorized the books to be produced, but that does not mean that he gives you permission to read them." She smiled at Catherine. "Now hurry up, his lord Alessandro sent news that his son has arrived. They're awaiting in his chambers."

Catherine smiled and climbed off the bed. She took the book from Laura's hands and tossed it into one of the open travel chests before walking up the hallway toward Alessandro's rooms.

They stepped into the room and saw Alessandro standing by the window, his mistress Taddea was sitting on the sofa with a baby in her arms.

Alessandro walked over to her and kissed her forehead. "Sister, here you are. Come, let me introduce you to my son."

"My lady." Taddea greeted her, making a short curtsy with the baby in her arms.

"Taddea." Catherine greeted her. She then walked over to her to see her nephew.

Looking at the infant, Catherine smiled. Lorenzo looked like a healthy baby and she thanked God for giving her brother such a healthy boy.

"He is beautiful, may God yield to him." She said, looking at Alessandro, who smiled proudly, then back to Taddea. "May I hold him?"

Taddea nodded and carefully placed her son in his aunt's arms. She kept her eyes on her son, afraid Catherine would drop him.

She was very careful with her son, after all it was her and Alessandro's first child. There would be many who would envy her for it.

"Sweet Lorenzo, beautiful child you are." whispered Catherine. Seeing Lorenzo made her eager to bear her own children. She hoped her children with the prince would be as beautiful and healthy as her nephew.

As if Taddea could read her mind, she said. "It won't be soon before you have your own children, my lady."

Catherine smiled but didn't answer. She handed Lorenzo back to his mother and turned to her brother. "I shall take my leave. I have much to do before my nephew is baptized. My last things have to be prepared before we leave for France." She nodded goodbye and left the room.

༺༻

Entering the Sistine Chapel, behind the young children, each holding a candle, and with Lorenzo in her arms, Catherine looked straight ahead. 

She was terrified of accidentally dropping her nephew or slipping on her skirts, and the smooth tiles of the chapel didn't help her forget her fear.

That was why she breathed a sigh of relief when she finally reached the front of the chapel.

She looked at Lorenzo to reassure herself that he was well.

Lorenzo was dressed in white with a white lace cap. He had clenched his little hands into a fist, but his face was relaxed and he seemed to be perfectly content in his aunt's arms.

She walked over to the Holy Father who patted the baby's cheeks and then began to recite the ceremonies.

"My dear brothers and sisters, let us ask our Lord Jesus Christ to look lovingly on this child who is to be baptized, on his parents and godparents, and on all who are gathered here." he began. "We pray that this child baptized today will always receive the loving and joyful support of our parish community. Lord hear us."

"Lord graciously hear us" said everyone in the chapel. Lorenzo, who seemed startled by the loud echo of the sound, began to cry softly and Catherine tried to rock him soothingly, which seemed to have an effect.

the holy father continued with his prayers and anointed the infant with the chrism

"I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit," said the Holy Father, sprinkling Lorenzo's head with the holy water.  "Amen,"

"Amen," everyone in the chapel repeated.  the choir began to chant and Catherine turned to the onlookers with Lorenzo in her arms.

she saw Alessandro looking proudly at his younger sister and nephew and smiled.  Taddea sitting next to him had her eyes fixed on her son and she seemed almost in a hurry to hold her baby again.

Catherine walked down the stairs to Alessandro and placed his son in his arms.  "He did so well." she said proudly. she gave her nephew a kiss on his forehead and then searched the room for Laura.

In the almost empty room, Laura was soon able to catch Catherine's searching gaze.  She walked over to her and put an object in her hand before retreating to Catherine's room to collect the last items.

"I was able to have this made quickly for my dear nephew." said Catherine, handing the object to Taddea. it was a gold necklace with a medallion, engraved with the letters L and M. it was bejeweled with small emeralds and rubies.

Taddea looked at the ornament in amazement. She was amazed that Catherine could have made the jewelry in such a short time, 1 day.

"this necklace belonged to my great-grandfather; lorenzo the magnificent and then my father Lorenzo di' Medici, so it was only fitting to pass the necklace on to my nephew, he will one day follow in the same footsteps as his namesake, i can feel it." she said, running her fingers over Lorenzo's small hand.

"Thank you Catherine. I'll make sure Lorenzo will know it came from you, he'd hear so much about you that he won't even notice you're not in Italy. He'll love you like he loves his parents  I can assure you," said Taddea, smiling at Catherine.  "Lorenzo and I are grateful to you."

"just make sure that he will be a gallant, well-behaved young man. I'll be satisfied enough then."

A guard came running up to them and bowed.  "the holy father calls you to leave. you will have to leave." said the guard.

Alessandro nodded and looked at his son in his arms.  "I'll see you again soon, my son." Alessandro kissed his son on the forehead and handed him to Catherine who did the same before handing him to taddea.

While Alessandro said goodbye to Taddea and Catherine looked through the chapel one last time. This would be her last time here and she wanted to make sure she didn't forget a single detail of the chapel.

"Come on, Nanita. We have to go."  Alessandro woke her from her thoughts.  Catherine nodded and followed Alessandro.