48. Persuasions

July 18th, 1536, chateau d'Fontainebleau

"Announcing Her Majesty the Queen!" declared the footman as he opened Catherine's door.

Catherine, in the midst of being dressed by her maids, looked up in surprise. She hadn't anticipated the queen's visit so early in the morning.

Still not fully dressed, she urged her maids to hurry. It would be impolite to keep the queen waiting for too long.

After a few minutes, Catherine, dressed in a simple yellow Italian-style dress, hastened to the audience room where the queen was already seated in one of the chairs by the window.

Catherine curtsied. "Your Majesty," she greeted, rising again. "I apologize for the wait. I didn't expect you to visit me so early, and I had no time to prepare for your arrival."

Eleanor offered a brief smile to Catherine. "I came to you without prior notice, so there is nothing to be done about it. You are forgiven. However, I cannot overlook the fact that you intend to divorce my stepson."

Catherine looked at her with a mix of shock and irritation. She hadn't expected Francis to reveal the news to the queen. She knew that Francis had informed his father and brother, as Henri had recently made more efforts to contact her, although she had consistently refused. Catherine hadn't seen Henri publicly with Diane in a while, although Diane was still present at court.

Catherine was no fool. She understood that the king had instructed Henri to distance himself from his mistress in an attempt to dissuade Catherine from pursuing the divorce. But she had sworn to herself that she would not easily retreat. She knew Henri well enough to realize that if she withdrew her request, he would swiftly return to his mistress's bed, knowing that it would be inappropriate for Catherine to make a second appeal for divorce.

"I apologize that you had to learn about it from the prince instead of me. I had not intended to announce the news until everything was certain," Catherine apologized to the queen sincerely. She cherished the deep bond she had developed with the queen during her time at the French court, and it pained her to have disappointed her in any way.

Eleanor looked at her with surprise. "It was not the prince who informed me. It was the king himself who asked me to dissuade you from divorcing Henri." She motioned for Catherine to take a seat across from her.

"My decision is firm," Catherine stated firmly as she settled into the chair. "And I commend you for it," Eleanor replied. "You are doing what many women dream of—leaving an unwanted and unhappy marriage. But I wonder, Catherine, is this truly the right choice for you? Are you not afraid of being left destitute?" She placed her hand on Catherine's leg, looking at her with concern.

Catherine offered a brief smile. "My brother will welcome me in Florence, and when the time is right, he will arrange a suitable marriage for me. I will find a respectful husband who will take care of me."

"Do you not love your husband, then?" Eleanor asked.

Catherine stared at Eleanor, feeling offended. "Of course I love my husband, and that is precisely why we must divorce. How can I continue to watch him repeatedly betray me despite my heartfelt pleas? This is best for both of us. Henri clearly no longer loves me, and I cannot be trapped in a loveless and disrespectful marriage. Only a fool would endure such a situation."

Catherine bit her lip after uttering the last words, realizing that she had unintentionally spoken harshly to the queen.

"I apologize, Your Majesty. It was unkind of me to speak in such a manner," she apologized, embarrassed. Eleanor smiled in response without saying a word.