19. The start of something new

6th of september 1535
Chateau de Fontainebleau, France

"What are your plans for today." Laura asked as she watched Catherine get dressed by her maids.

She found it strange that Catherine wanted to get out of bed so early today, she had already been awakened at seven by the maids that Catherine was already getting ready.

Normally, Catherine slept until about nine o'clock, after which she quietly ate her breakfast and then took a bath. Her day usually didn't start until about eleven o'clock.

"Henri and I are going out for an early morning ride." Catherine said, trying to hide her smile.

"Ah, that's nice. It's about time the two of you put your bickering behind you." Laura said.

Catherine rolled her eyes. "Laura, please. Henri has just arrived at court, so it goes without saying that we'll have to twist our faces together to keep the gossip down, and who knows, we'll be back to our old ways in a few days."

Laura ignored Catherine's rolling eyes.  "Yesterday you were also dancing together at the ball and I've seen you talk and laugh together all too often. You're older and wiser now, I'm sure everything will be different now."

"And it's about time you brought an heir into the world." Laura whispered afterward.

Catherine's cheeks turned red with blush.  "Please Laura." she said almost giggling.  "Thank you." Catherine thanked the maids who had just finished dressing her. The maids curtsied and walked out of the room.

Catherine sat behind her dressing table and watched through the mirror as Laura pinned her long hair into a bun.

When Laura was done she kissed Catherine on the forehead. "Have a good time, sweetheart." She said. Catherine smiled at Laura's tender gesture. "I will. See you in a minute."

༺༻

Arriving at the stables, Catherine saw that Henri's horse was already saddled. Henri himself stood by his horse and fed him an apple.

"Good morning Henry." Catherine greeted Henri as she walked over to him and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

Henri was briefly startled by the kiss, but soon resumed himself. "Good morning Catherine, are you ready for our ride?"

Catherine walked over to her horse Apollo and kissed him on the head. "But of course, you're not going to be able to compete with me when it comes to my riding skills." Catherine said with a smile.

"You have a beautiful and strong horse, as if he could go to war." Henri complimented Catherine while they rode out of the stables. "Thank you, it was a gift from my brother. I got it before I left for France. I named it Apollo."

"A powerful name for a powerful horse."  Henri said, looking at his own horse Midnight. The jet-black horse had itself been a gift from the King of Navarre. It was itself a war horse that was bred in Spain.

"I found a nice spot during one of my rides. Would you like to see it?" Catherine said mysteriously to Henri.

Henry grinned.  "Show me."

༺༻

A few minutes later, Henri and Catherine had arrived in an open field.

Because the open field was surrounded by tall trees, it was not easy to find. A river with dark blue colored water ran through the middle of the field.

Henri climbed off his horse and looked around. "How did you find this place?" he said admiringly.

"I was wandering around and then I found it. What Do You Think?" Catherine said as she climbed off her horse herself. She walked to the river and sat down on the floor.

"It's beautiful. Did you ride here all alone when you found it?" Henri said, sitting next to her. Catherine nodded. "I'm surprised my father let you ride around alone." Henry rolled his eyes.

"Your father has been nothing but nice to me. He made me feel like I belonged here and let me do my own thing." Catherine defended

"I'm glad of that. It's not like Father has any other choice; you're his only daughter-in-law. Once Francis gets married he'll consider you an extra, a source of money. Only the wife of the heir and his children will be his interest then."

"You have a hidden jealousy for your brother." Catherine noted.

"I'm not jealous of my brother, I hate my father for how he treats my brother as better than me." Henry said frustrated.  "Francis is the smartest, the strongest and the best in his eyes."

Catherine turned to Henri and took his hand. Something that startled them both.

She could read the sadness but also the frustration on Henri's face. She wanted to help him. Not only because he was her husband, but also because his glory was hers. If he was unwanted with the king, so was she.

"Then you must show your father that you are as capable as your brother. Your brother may be the future king, but you can also make something great of yourself."

"How do I do that?"

"I don't know that yet. But know that I will help you." replied Catherine. "I know we started off on the wrong foot but I hope we can make it right now. Only together will we be strong. And when we have our army one day we will be even stronger, especially if we beat Francis."

Henry smiled. "Let's start again, this time on the right foot. All over again." He grinned at the last words.

"All over again?" Catherine looked at him confused.

Henry nodded. "Let's, secretly, remarry.  Pronouncing new vows and reliving our wedding night. What do you think of that?"

Catherine smiled now. "This evening? In the chapel of the palace at midnight. I'm not taking anyone with me, will you do the same?"

Henry nodded. "This evening."

Did you notice how I titled a high school musical song *wink*. This chapter has a bit of those vibes, doesn't it?