08. Wedding bells

October 23rd, 1533
Marseille, France

Dressed in her white and gold dress, Catherine walked into the church.

She had been preparing for the big day all morning. Her hair was pinned up in a wreath-shaped braid with pearls pinned to it. The white dress she wore was detailed with gold patterns and she wore a gold chain around her neck.

She looked closely behind her, at Laura and Camilla, who were walking behind her.

Laura smiled encouragingly and Catherine smiled back before looking ahead again.

Her uncle stood at the altar as did Henri and the cardinals and bishops her uncle had brought with him.

At the front of the church were the king, queen, his children and Alessandro.

Arriving at the altar, she made a short curtsy to her uncle, then turned to make a curtsy for the king.

The king nodded in reply and Catherine turned back to her uncle.

"I invite you to kneel." said Clement. Catherine knelt on the pillow placed on the floor. She felt the heavy weight of her dress on her legs. The rest of the invitees took place on the pews.

"Henri and Caterina, have you come here to enter into marriage without coercion, freely and wholeheartedly?" Clement said, looking at the two fourteen-year-olds.

"I have." They answerred.

"Are you prepared, as you follow the path of marriage, to love and honor each other for as long as you both shall live?" He continued.

"I am." Henri said, Catherine repeated him.

Clement nodded and continued. "Are you prepared to accept children lovingly from God and to bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?"

"I am." They said together again.

The Holy Father continued with the mass with Catherine and Henri kneeling on the pillows. Both had their eyes fixed on them, at the Pope's twirling feet.

After half an hour the holy father motioned for them to get up again. They both got up from the pillow and faced each other.

"May you both give your consent to the marriage in the presence of our lord God." said Clement.

"I, Henri of Valois, take you, Catherine Maria Romula Di'medici to be my wife. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life." Henri said to Catherine. With these vows he gave his consent to the marriage.

"I, Caterina Maria Romula Di'medici, take you, Henri of Valois to be my husband. I promise to be true to you in good times and in bad, in sickness and in health. I will love you and honor you all the days of my life." Catherine felt her voice tremble as she spoke her vows. She looked at Henri who looked at her and smiled briefly. She received no smile in return.

One of the bishops walked up the steps to the dais, holding in his hands a pillow on which were two gold rings.

The Holy Father blessed the rings and Henri took one from the pillow.

"You may say your vows."

"Catherine Di'medici, receive this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." Henri said, slipping the gold ring over her finger.

Catherine took the second ring from the pillow. "Henri of Valois , receive this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity, in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." she said as she slipped the ring over his finger.