10. The newly wed

October 24th, 1533
Marseille, France

The next morning Catherine was awakened by the rays of the sun shining on her face.

When she opened her eyes and saw that she was in the room of the prince, her husband. In fact, the prince had just awoken from his sleep and stood with his back to the bed as he spoke to one of his groomsmen.

"Good morning." she said softly as she got out of bed herself. She looked at her bare feet sticking out from under her long nightgown.

"Good morning Duchess." the chamberlains greeted her with a bow. She turned away from her so they could give their new duchess some privacy.

Henri turned to her but avoided her gaze. After last night's events, he found it embarrassing to even look at his new wife.

"Good morning Catherine." He said. He turned to his chamberlains. "Call the Duchess' ladies-in-waiting right now." he ordered.

Catherine looked at him insulted. "Do you want me gone so quickly?" she snapped at Henri.

Henri turned back to Catherine. "Excuse me?" he asked confused.

"Last night we were almost naked under each other and today you send me away as if I were a common whore who can send you away without saying a word."

The door of the room was opened and Laura and Camilla walked into the room followed by three maids.

"I assumed you would like to be washed and dressed." Henri replied, annoyed.

Catherine pulled the dressing gown from Camilla's hands and put it on. "How thoughtful of you, thank you...husband." Catherine said sarcastically.

Suddenly there was an awkward silence in the room. The groomsmen waited uncomfortably for the prince, as did Laura and Camilla.

Camilla and Laura looked at each other confused. Both Henri and Catherine had annoyed expressions on their faces.

The maids heaved a sigh and everyone turned to them. They were busy changing the bedding.

There were large drops of blood on the sheet, signifying that the new bride had indeed been a virgin.

Catherine turned red with embarrassment. "Let's go." she said to her ladies-in-waiting.

She left his room without looking at Henri.

༺༻

Hours later, Catherine walked alongside Henri to the tiltyard built just in front of the castle gates.

The king had organized a joust in their honor, one of the many activities that would take place to celebrate their marriage.

Dressed in a red dress, her family color, and her long hair loose over her shoulders, Catherine looked pretty. Her ladies-in-waiting had done their best to make her look perfect.

The loud chatter could be heard from afar and as she and Henri walked onto the field, the crowd began to applaud. Catherine put on a radiant smile as she waved briefly to the crowd.

"The Duke and Duchess of Orleans!" cried the herald standing by the steps of the grandstand. He watched the prince and his wife climb the stairs.

She moved on to the group that had taken their seats on stage. His father and his wife, the Holy Father, and his sisters and brothers had already taken their seats.

"Your holiness." Henri and Catherine said together as she took turns kissing his ring. They turned to the king and bowed and curtsy.

"Children, take a seat." King Francis said with a smile. He gestured to the empty space between the princes and the princesses, below him, the holy father and his wife.