43. Queen of Scotts

May 17th, 1536, Fontainebleau

Catherine looked up at the bright May sun shining brightly in the gardens. Madeleine had begged her to take her for a walk since she was tired of spending her days with her husband.

"My husband has told me extraordinary news from England." Madeleine said mysteriously as they sat down at the edge of the fountain.

Catherine placed her hand gently in the cold water as she looked at Madeleine. "Do tell."

"After he had Anne Boleyn executed, he declared the Princess Elizabeth a bastard and married her former lady-in-waiting, Jane Seymour," she whispered.

"So now he has two bastard daughters and no son? God help Jane Seymour then, who knows what will happen if she doesn't have a son?" Catherine sighed. "Being a woman is not easy."

Madeleine smiled sadly. "That is indeed true." She looked at the passing women and nodded to them. She then turned back to Catherine and took her hand. "There's something I need to tell you." she said seriously.

Catherine looked at her with a concerned look. "Nothing serious I hope." she said concerned. She immediately became concerned about Madeleine's health. She hadn't even fallen seriously ill a month ago and the doctors had feared for her life. Luckily for all of them, Madeleine had recovered, but she was still battling that strange lung disease that always left her short of breath.

Madeleine's wrinkled her nose in disgust "It's Diane and her daughters, they're coming our way." She explained when she saw Catherine's misunderstood look.

Catherine sighed in annoyance as she looked at the ladies as they curtsied in front of them.

"Your Majesty, Your Highness." Diane greeted the two girls as she got up. Her daughters imitated her.

"Diane." Madeleine greeted her coldly.

"Your majesty has removed my daughters from your service, did they not perform her duties according to your wish?" Diane asked sweetly.

Catherine rolled her eyes. The woman could act, she had to admit.

Madeleine, too, could hardly hide her annoyance. "No, they were both totally incapable of performing their duties in a normal manner. I cannot employ such persons." she said coldly.

Diane's sweet smile didn't move. "Then I ask your forgiveness. My daughters are still young and inexperienced in serving a queen. I hope that your majesty could give my girls another chance to prove themselves in their role as maid of honor."

Madeleine got up, tired of this woman's nagging. "Educate your children well before placing them in the household of a queen. And then just make sure they don't end up like you; a fallen woman." She turned to Catherine, who was still sitting, and motioned for her to get up.

They continued through the garden, leaving behind Diane, who had lost her smile.

"Henri will be furious." Catherine said. "Let him be furious, he deserves it."

"I wouldn't want you and Henri to get into a fight over this ignorance of a woman." Catherine sighed. Madeleine smiled at Catherine. "Don't worry about that, I know how to handle my brother's anger. Anyway, I wanted to tell you something. My husband has made the decision to return to Scotland, and as is expected of his wife and as Queen of Scotland, I must come along."

Catherine looked at her in shock. "What? Already so soon." she stammered. "Is there nothing we can do to keep him waiting?"

"My lord father has already tried to persuade my husband to stay in France for a while, but my husband has refused. He says there are plenty of tasks that have been waiting for him in Scotland for a long time." Madeleine explained. "I am sad to leave but I look forward to finally performing my role as queen."

"I think that is indeed something you should be happy about. Though I'm still going to miss you." Catherine took her hand. Madeleine smiled sadly. "Well don't worry; you and Henri will certainly have to visit me when you have the time, and when you get there I will introduce you to my new court."

Catherine laughed. "I cannot imagine the chaos your court will be in when you preside over it." she giggled.

Madeleine let go of Catherine and placed her hands on her hips. She made a fake offended face. And what do you mean by that? That I won't be a good queen? I'm going to be the best queen Europe has ever known. The Scots will remember me as Madeleine the Good."

Catherine raised her eyebrow. "The good?"

Madeleine nodded. "Naturally. That stands for Madeleine: the well-dressed queen."

"Fool!" Catherine laughed as she pushed Madeleine. "Ouch, is this how you treat the Queen of Scots?"

Catherine curtsied. "I'm sorry your majesty." she said laughing. Madeleine rolled her eyes jokingly and hooked her arm back into Catherine's as they chatted away together.

*Madeleine's disease is tuberculosis*