05 Where were you?!

The next morning I wake up on the sofa. Wait, I've never seen this sofa in my life. Where the hell am I?! Am I in someone's basement?

I hear someone stir near my feet, I look down and see Adam Banks asleep opposite me. What the hell is going on?! Weren't I meant to stay at Guy's last night?

"Shit!" I curse and spring off the chair and run up the stairs that lead to the living room. 

"Good morning Delilah, did you sleep alright?" Adam's mom asks.

"Like a baby." I reply instinctively. "Um, can I use your phone, please?"

"Sure, its just in the kitchen, on the counter by the bar stools." She instructs me.

"Thanks." I smile and rush to the kitchen. I quickly dial Guy's number. "Hello?"

"Delilah? Is that you?! Where the hell are you?! I called Charlie and your house phone!"

"Sorry Guy. I- um..." I trail off as I see Adam come up the stairs lazily. "I lost track of time. I got distracted at the lake I'm sorry."

He sighs, "Its fine just... call me next time. I thought something happened to you. You're like a sister to me I don't want you to end up dead in an alleyway somewhere."

"Aww, how considerate. I'm glad you don't want me dead in a dirty place like the alley, maybe a field would be more to your standard?"

"I don't want you dead at all!"

"Okay, okay, jeez. Me and Connie will meet you at the lake in an hour, okay?"

"See ya."

"Was that your dad?" Adam asks from beside me on the other bar stool. 

"No, Guy Germaine." I reply and dial Connie's number. 

"Oh is he like your boyfriend?" Adam asks and clears his throat awkwardly.

"What?! No! He's like a brother to me, and he has a fat crush on my other friend." I exclaim disgusted.

"Oh, okay." Adam goes back to eating his cereal.

She answers the phone, "Hey Con."

"Hey Dee, having fun at Charlie's?"

"That's the thing, I'm not at Charlie's."

"Well where are you?"

"Its a long story. But I kinda told Guy I would stay at his last night and never showed, so I just told him that you'll take me to the lake so he don't have to pick me up. Is that alright?"

"Of course. But where were you?"

"I'll tell you when I get there. We've gotta turn up at the lake together or Guy is gonna be worried."

"Okay, okay. Do you want my mom to come pick you up from somewhere?"

"Um, yes please."

"Alright, where?"

"Adam Banks' house." I cringe and see Adam's head pop up at the sound of his name.

"Adam Banks?!"

"Yep, do you know where that is?"

"Yeah its like a few houses down from yours. But Adam Banks?!"

"Yep. Thanks Con I owe you one. Bye!" I hang up the phone before she can ask anything else.

"What was that about?" Adam asks.

"Um, my friend Connie's coming to get me with her mom soon." I inform him.

"Oh okay." We both sit in an awkward silence for a while until I break it.

"Uhm, I'm gonna go get changed. Don't go down to the basement until I come back, okay?"

"Okay."

<^>

"Thank you for letting me stay Mrs Banks." I say as I walk up to the door.

"Its fine Delilah, come round anytime." Doubt I'll do that. "Adam! Come say goodbye to your friend!"

"Oh, he doesn't need to do that. He's getting changed actually and... my rides here. Best get going." I say awkwardly and step down the porch. "See ya!"

"Bye!" She calls to me as I basically sprint to Connie's Mom's car.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!" I repeat as I get in the car. "Please drive Ms Moreau."

"Sure thing sweetie." She smiles in the rear view mirror.

"So... Adam Banks?!" 

"Its not what you think." I say. "I don't like him. We're not dating. And we're not sneaking around. I went to the lake last night and he was there and he asked if I wanted some cocoa, I said yes, we went to his and we must have fell asleep because I woke up in his basement."

"Sounds like a stalker to me." Connie's mom says and I laugh.

"Shush mom! Just because you don't believe in love." Connie rolls her eyes.

Connie's mom and dad got divorced two years ago because he was a cheating scumbag.

"I think-"

I cut her off, swiftly changing the subject, "I think that we should stop talking about Adam Banks and start talking about your fat crush on my best friend."

<^>

Me and Connie get on the ice and I am immediately tackled to the ground by Charlie and Guy. "What the hell guys?!"

"Why didn't you call?!" The both yell.

"I lost track of time and fell asleep." I shrug and stand up.

"Don't do that ever again." Guy says and Charlie nods in agreement.

"Oh I'm sorry I didn't know I had to report back to you two every five minutes." I say sarcastically.

"You do now." Charlie smirks.

"Very funny." I squint at him before looping my arm with Connie and skating over to the rest of the team.