08 District Lines

Today's our game against the Cardinals and for a warm up right before the game we're throwing footballs back and forth in our pairs. Why? I have no clue.

"Every time you get the puck, you're the quarterback. Make eye contact with the receiver. Talk to 'em, let them know its comin'." Coach instructs. "Come on guys, this isn't a library. Talk to each other."

After a few minutes Coach brings Fulton onto the ice for him to practise his 'Slapshot'. "This better be legit." Jesse says from beside me and I nod in agreement.

Fulton begins to pelt the pucks at the goal only getting a few in but its so cool. "Holy shit!"

I look over at the Cardinals team to see more than half of them with scared faces.

<^>

The ref blows his whistle signifying the start of the match. "Alright, lets forget the past. We lost a few games, tough! That was District-Five. Now we're the Ducks"

"Yeah."

"And the Ducks are undefeated!" Bombay adds.

"Alright! Yeah!"

"Quack. Quack." Coach starts to chant and soon enough we all join in.

"Quack! Quack! Quack! Go..... Ducks!" We cheer.

<^>

Its the beginning of second period. The score is 2-0 to the Cardinals. "Delilah, you take face off."

"Really?" I ask, stunned.

"Unless you don't want to." Bombay smirks.

"Shut up you know I want to!" I smile and get on the ice.

The puck is dropped and I win it over after a bit of fighting, and send it over to Averman, who passes it to Connie, who passes it to Fulton, then to Jesse who shoot and... Scores! 

"Oh my god! Yes!" I jump and tackle Jesse to the floor along with the rest of the team.

<^>

Karp is skating backwards as he watches a Cardinal player head on with the puck. "Come on Karp! Defence! Lets go!"

Karp drops on his knee just as the Cardinal plays shoots the puck but instead of going to one of his players or in the goal it hits Karp right in the forehead. Oh god...

Karp falls on his back and the crowd gasps so the whole team rushes out to see if his alright.

"I don't wanna go to school today mom." Karp groans as Charlie takes his helmet of for him.

"Karp, how many fingers am I holding up?" Coach asks and shows him four fingers.

"He wouldn't know that anyway." Peter remarks.

"Shut up Peter." Me and Coach say in sync.

"Karp, are you okay?" Coach asks.

"Look at this." Guy says and hands over the dented helmet.

"The Karp-ster used his head to stop the puck~" Averman commentates. "Mr Karp-a-lanee~"

Coach rolls his eyes at Averman, "Lets get you off the ice. Come on."

The crowd begins to cheer in support as they see Karp get dragged off the ice. "Get him on the bench Charlie."

"Alright Ducks. We've still got a chance here. Connie, Delilah, Jesse, Guy, time for the secret weapon. Okay, Fulton. Remember, just like we talked about."