10 Huskies Game

The whole team is in the locker room getting dressed and ready for our game against the Huskies. I watch in amusement as Karp shoves Peter into his locker repeatedly for talking about his mother. The whole team is joking and play fighting around the locker room, having fun and loosening up before the game. 

However, all that fun, light-hearted behaviour was instantly ripped away as the newest member walked through the door, Hawks bag on his shoulder and stick in hand.

I look him up and down but don't stand up or make any movement to tell him he doesn't belong, unlike everyone else, especially Jesse who stood up annoyed.

My dad walks in soon after, breaking the uncomfortable silence we all were sitting in. "Hey," He pats Adam's back, "Wasn't sure if you'd show up."

"Maybe you're daddy should learn how to RSVP." I joke quietly earning a few laughs from the guys that are near me.

"Yeah whatever." Banks sighs, "I just wanna play hockey."

"Good." Coach pushes Adam forward, and Adam awkwardly shuffles forward looking around uncomfortable, making me laugh quietly to myself. "Ducks, you all know Adam Banks."

"On behalf of the Ducks, I'd like to say welco-"

Charlie is rudely cut off by Jesse slapping his chest and walking forward, "Cake-eater."

"Ooo~, the Jess-man dissin' the new guy! The Jess-ter!" Averman commentates.

"Shut up Averman!" Jesse raises his voice. "Puttin' on a Ducks jersey doesn't mean you're a real Duck."

"Jess chill." I tell him, putting my jumper on the bench and standing up. 

"Dee-"

"Chill out dude." I repeat and he huffs, shoulder barging Adam on the way out, everyone soon following him, but me and my dad.

"They're a good group once you get to know 'em." Coach tries to reassure Adam.

"I bet." Adam nods.

"Well, suit up. I'll see you on the ice." Coach walks to the door. "Delilah, hurry up."

I look up and see coach give me a knowing look and tilt his head in Adam's direction, I sigh and nod to him, as he smiles gratefully and leaves.

I stand up and walk over to Adam, "Listen, Bombay's right, they are great, you've just gotta prove yourself to 'em."

"I get it. I'm the enemy." Adam nods and sets his bag down and the logo catches my eye.

"Not anymore." I tell him and prop his bag on my lap. "Dude you gotta get a new bag."

"Yeah, well I didn't know I was a Duck until a few days ago so..." He shrugs.

"You got a pen?" I ask, and he shakes his head with a confused look on his face. "Um... go ask coach if he's got one, he's probably waitin' outside."

"Okay..." He walks out and comes back in a few seconds later. "Here."

"Thanks." I dump his stuff out on the floor.

"Hey!"

"What? You gotta get ready and I've got something to do. Chop chop." I tell him and bite the lid off the pen and start drawing on the Hawks logo.

"Hey, even though the guys act tough, they wouldn't fight you. It's not who they are." I tell him and finish what I'm doing, holding the bag up proudly. "Done."

"You wrote 'Ducks' inside of every letter of Hawks." He raises an eyebrow at me.

"Yep." I nod and stand up. "I'll see you on the ice Banksie."