09 Star Gazing

I'm sitting at home, waiting for my dad to get home whilst I overthink about what happened at the locker room. I might have gone a bit too far.

The front door slowly opens and in walks Gordon Bombay. "Delilah! You home?"

"In the kitchen!" I shout and a few seconds later he walks into the the kitchen with a guilty look on his face.

"Delilah, there's something I need to tell you." He takes in a deep breath but I stop him.

"Wait, me first." I begin. "I think I went a little too far today. I shouldn't have exploded on you like that I just had a lot on my mind. The truth is... the past couple weeks me and Adam have kinda been hanging out/having civil conversations and I thought I somewhat understood him and like who he was but turns out I was wrong. And today when he was being a jerk about being a Duck got me thinking and I realised I know nothing about this kid. Then Peter, Jesse and Terry were being weird and not telling me that you don't think we deserve to live and that got me really really annoyed. And also what you said was a really douchey thing..." I ramble. "Oh and I have this thing where I always find out someone's middle name and if I don't know it I probably don't like them."

"Can I talk now?" Gordon asks.

"Sure, go ahead." I breathe out.

"Good. Okay, I accept your apology but I disagree. I'll admit the middle name thing was a bit off topic and very confusing, but all the other stuff was right. I should've shown more regret and mainly I just shouldn't have said it at all. That's why I just spoke to Mr Hall and he's gonna take over coach for the rest of the year." He reveals.

"You're quitting?" I ask.

"Stepping aside." He corrects. "To keep the team together. The guys can't play for someone they don't trust."

"B-but Charlie trusts you." 

"And what about you?" He asks. "Do you trust me?"

"I-I... can't. I-I'm sorry." I stutter.

"That's what I thought." He nods.

"No, no. Because this job was meant to prove that- that I can trust you." I try explain. "The team will trust you they're just being stubborn, you've just gotta talk to 'em."

"I've done all I can." 

"No you haven't." I shake my head. "You haven't tried to explain it. You can't just walk away... We're the Ducks. We're your team!"

"No you're not!" He denies.

"Yeah we are and you know it!" I point at him. "Hell, we weren't even called the Ducks until you came along! You made us and now you're stuck with us so suck it up and accept it, man!"

"Delilah, where are you going?" Gordon asks when I walk out the kitchen.

"Out!" I shout and slam the door. I can't believe this!

<^>

Two hours later I'm still laying in the middle of the road starring up at the dark sky without a care in the world, my walkman blasting Tears For Fears through my earphones. 

I hear muffled voice in the background and then see a face blocking my vision of the sky. I see his mouth move but don't hear anything, so I take one of my earphones out. "What?"

"I said, what the hell are you doing in the middle of the road? You could be killed!" Adam repeats.

"No I couldn't." I wave him off.

"How are you so sure?" He asked.

I roll my eyes, "Because, Banks, for years I have sat in that house and stared out that window, slowly watching as the cars stop coming in. I've kinda learned a few things."