06 One in a Million

The whole team pile into Hans' Sports Shop, and I exclaim, "I can't believe we have a sponsor! Us! District- 5 hockey team have an actual sponsor!"

"I know right!" Connie agrees.

I look to my right and see Terry and Karp wrestling with some gloves on. Idiots.

Goldberg found a pair of thick hockey pads and tried squeezing into them but ended up falling over. "Hey Greggy, need a hand?"

"No thanks Dee! I got it!" His says, struggling to stand up. What he doesn't know is that if he untied the string around the waist band he would be able to get into them easier, but oh well.

Jesse and Averman bow to each other before letting out their best war cry and beginning to wrestle.

I catch a glimpse of the skates and excitedly run over there, I'm met with the owner of the shop. "Ahh, Miss Bombay! I thought I'd see you over here."

"I'm sorry, do I know you?" I ask him awkwardly.

"No, no." He chuckles. "No, but I know you. Your father mentioned you and I could tell that you were a Bombay."

"Really? How?" I ask.

"You've got your father eyes, and his father's." He tells me.

"You knew my Grandfather?"

"Yeah, he used to come in here all the time before he unfortunately passed, so did your father." He answers.

"My dad? Gordon Bombay? Mr. 'I hate hockey and I don't like kids'?" I raise an eyebrow.

Hans nods, "He loved hockey as a kid. Me and his father would take him to the lake sometimes so he could skate around for a while whilst we caught up."

"No way." I say, gobsmacked.

"Yes way. Hockey is in your blood." Hans says wisely. "Anywho, what would you like?"

"Um, can I have those please?" I ask and point at the skates that stand out the most to me.

"Ahh, these are your father's favourites too." Hans smirks.

"Um, thanks." I walk off and as I do I see my father smiling as he watches us all obsess over the new equipment. His eyes land on my and he gives me a half smile, which I return.

<^>

I walk down one of the isles and I see Charlie accidently knock over a whole hockey stick stand. I burst out laughing when he turns around and tries to be casual about it. He hears me laughing and starts to glare at me before chasing me around the shop. We both come to a stop in front of a fake ice sculpture that had the best hockey stick I've ever seen attached to it.

"Oh my God Char, you have to get that stick!" I tell him excitedly.

"Me?" He scoffs, "What about you?"

"I could never give up my stick. It has character." I shrug. "Now get it!"

"Okay." He tries to reach for it but he can't get it. I look around and my eyes fall upon a tall figure.

"Yo Fulton!" I call to the taller boy who's head snaps up and looks at me confused.

"Dee, what are you doing?" Charlie hisses and grips my arm tightly.

"Getting you your stick." I say in a 'duh' tone. "Fulton! Come here!"

He walks over to us confused, "Yeah?"

"You see that hockey stick right there?" I point to it and he nods, "Can you get it for my good pal Charlie here because he's too much of a midget and doesn't hit the gym enough, please?"