A Deal of Cards.

Scrybe!Alastor x Fem!Challenger!Reader
(Fluff)
Okay, I know lots of you have no idea what Inscryption is (cool game on steam, go check it out), but I'm gonna do a crossover oneshot for my own well-being because I haven't been able to get the idea out of my head. Hopefully you guys will catch on, if not, sorry :sob:
(There's an image above so you can get a bit of a better idea of what it looks like)

***

The three talking cards — the Stoat, the Stinkbug, and the Stunted Wolf — all argued in your hand, the Stoat seeming rather angered about something, judging by how the text at the top of its card was moving at lightning speed to follow its words.

"No! Not a chance! We can do this on our own!" it yelled at the Stinkbug, who had recently spoken of releasing one more talking card. The poor squirrel in your hand looked just about ready to jump on the board and sacrifice itself willingly. "I'm telling you! He's a self-centered, know-it-all, narcissistic, egotistical, selfish, greedy, unreliable asshole! There's no way in hell we are getting him join us!"
"I'm sorry, Stoat. But I'm going to have to agree with our friend, the Stinkbug," the Wolf with a single eye growled, taking a glance at you.

"Although I do understand where you're coming from, he isn't all bad. And right now, he's our only hope." Your eyes raised from the cards a moment, gaze resting on the mysterious figure in front of you, its glowing eyes narrowed. "Are you going to play?" it hissed, tapping its long, spindly fingers against the board. You nodded, allowing you attention to drift back to the cards. The Stoat sighed, "Alright. Fine." Its eyes blinked once and, despite being blank, seemed to look at you. "The card is under the floorboards near the safe you found me in," the Stinkbug spoke in her high-pitched voice. "There, you'll be able to dig up Ala— I- I mean, the Red Hart from his locked chest."

The Stunted Wolf then stepped in, "Yes. After this match, go to the globe behind the awful man keeping us trapped in this horrible little cabin of his. The key can be found inside it." After those words had been spoken, all three of the cards went silent, waiting for you to make your move on the board. Remaining quiet, your right hand carefully pulled the squirrel card out and set it on the board, its single eye uninterested and lifeless until you then drew the Stunted Wolf card — a card that required a single sacrifice. The squirrel's eye proceeded to squint in fear, the silhouette of it trembling violently as you then pulled it off the board , earned a bone, and replaced the squirrel with the Wolf, who promptly dealt two damage to the board and added two weights on your side of the scale. The first play was complete.

The stranger in front of you played a coyote, the rabid looking creature dealing two damage to your Wolf and killing him off — though no damage to the board, meaning you were still winning. You drew a squirrel card from your side deck, setting it down, sacrificing it for the stoat, and earning one more bone — enough to also set down the Stinkbug. You set the female insect in front of the coyote, its damage being reduced by a single point due to her putrid scent. One damage was dealt to the board, thanks to the Stoat, and one damage was dealt to the coyote, killing it off.

Your opponent then moved a sparrow to the space between both of your cards on the opposing side of the board, the bird dealing a single tooth of damage and tilting the scale back by one. You then drew a card from the animals deck, a normal wolf being set into your hand. Three damage, two health. But it was at the cost of two sacrifices, so you thought best to wait. Ringing the bell, the Stinkbug and Stoat both attacked at the board, dealing two damage total and tipping the scale in your favor. Only one more tooth of damage before you won.

The stranger sent a porcupine in front of your Stoat, dealing one damage to its three hit points while the sparrow dealt one damage to the board. Two more teeth until you won. Grinning, you drew a squirrel card from the side deck and set it down, proceeding to sacrifice it and the Stoat — who managed to get a few words of complaint in before getting dragged off the board — in order to place your normal wolf down in a space where the opposing space held no creatures. You rang the bell. The Stinkbug dealt one damage, the wolf dealt three, all of it going to the board. The scale then tipped with four new teeth, the two unneeded extra teeth being stored inside a small bowl to use on the trapper later on. But that didn't matter. Because you were about to collect the final talking card.