chapter 24

I walked out the bathroom and ran into Aera.

With her arms crossed, she was just staring at me.

Nice.

Exactly what I need right now.

"Thank you for showing me you were worth knowing? Seriously?" She said, scandalized.

"Not now, Aera. "I sighed, trying to walk around her, hoping she'd get off my back.

"What the hell is going on Y/n? What, are you like... friend with him now? I told you to stay away." She stepped in my way, not letting it go.

"I'm not friend with him. I'm.. I don't really know what we.. " I paused" What this is..."

"I'll tell you what this is.. A terrible idea."

"I'm trying to stay away, really am.
But he keeps showing up. What am I supposed to do?" I put my hands up

"Gee, I don't know, y/n. Everything but go on a motorcycle ride with him, maybe?" She said in an arrogant way

"Okay, I got it. Get off my back already. "I turned away

"Does Jake know about this?"

Then I had an idea.

"Of course, he does. I'm only making friend with him to convince Teo to cancel the fight. I'm trying to save Jake's butt, can't you see that?" I tried to convince her and myself.
Her face changed.

"Oh." She paused. " Of course, I'm so sorry. How insensitive of me. How is he?" She felt bad.

"He's getting better, guess. "I paused" Wait, how do you know about... I mean, what are you talking about?"

Worst liar of the year, everybody.

"Oh please, you think it's the first time Jake disappears for a couple of days without a warning? I've been around a long time y/n. You haven't."

“ But how do you know he's not okay?"

“ Because that's the main reason why he vanishes once in a while. He gets his ass kicked and doesn't want my mom to get involved. "

I was always surprised by how much Aera knew even though she didn't play any parts in this mess.

"I spent my entiere life trying to stay out of my brother's trouble and you..." She paused, looking at me in silence." One month here and you're already in over your head."

She stepped closer..

"But one day, you'll realize Teo is only as nice as he needs to be to get your trust. You'll realize in this sick world they live in, it's everyone for himself. And you'll realize once you're a target, you're never safe. "

I wanted to cry as she spoke but I held it together.

"And when that day comes, because it will..."

She stopped talking, looking me straight in the eyes.

"Just remember I warned you."

And she walked away.
She made her point, that's for sure. But that didn't tell me how to get myself out of this mess.

Would I ever be able to do so?

I took a breath and made my way to my room. I crashed on my bed and burried my face in my pillow.

I remembered Teo's words.

"Thank you for accepting to know me. "

Yup, I knew the guy.
And something told me this could turn out to be the worst thing that ever happened to me.