prologue

TIED SOULS

prologue
[ season three - episode one ]

prologue[ season three - episode one ]

𝐁𝐄𝐀𝐌𝐒 𝐎𝐅 𝐌𝐎𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓 caressed her skin as she stood at the open window, allowing a draft of stormy air to brush against her, combing through her dyed, bleach-blonde hair as she allowed herself to take deep breaths, the deepest that her lungs deemed possible, nowhere near enough as she needed to get through tonight. It was a dark night, perhaps one of the darkest nights she had been through in a long time. Heavy downpours crashed violently against the glass, sending vibrations into her hand as she looked down at their deserted street. In all of the years they had lived here, she had never seen it so bare. It didn't feel real. None of this did. 

It always rained in Seattle. There were storms weekly. Usually, it soothed a spiraling twenty-two-year-old girl who'd spent most of her hours at this window. But tonight, it all felt suffocating. As though every later that poured down fell onto her specifically, drowning her while she tried her hardest to stay afloat.

Besides the rain and the occasional rumble of thunder, the apartment was silent. Too silent. The hours she had spent standing at this window had gone uninterrupted, not a voice, not a single footstep sounding through the ceiling as the rabid pack animals who she lived with caused their usual ruckus, it was completely silent. Deafening.

The witching hour was upon them. That was what her father used to call it. A special moment in the middle of the night when everyone was in a deep sleep. When all the dark things came out of hiding and had the world to themselves. Combining that with a full moon, and well, this was the result. Agonizing silence.

"Beacon Hills?" Her voice mumbled lowly as she questioned it. After what felt like hours she finally found herself able to repeat those two words that he had dared to utter to her. A clap of thunder shook the room as she too dared to say it. That small godforsaken town. Even nature knew of the reputation it had. Mumbling those two words scared even a storm. Even after saying it aloud, Gabriella couldn't fathom how he had dared to utter those two words to her, to dare suggest an impulsive return after what had happened the last time they were in that hellish town. He knew what she'd gone through, he had been there, he was a witness, there to tell the tale. It wasn't like he heard it through the grapevine where he could interpret it himself, the facts getting lost in translation. He knew what she had been through, and he still suggested it.

"Take a seat" He told her, his tone much calmer than hers, proving just how unbothered her felt in a time like this. When he suggested that she returned to a place that she often referred to as hell on Earth. The girl was flabbergasted, her eyes still staring onto the streets, hoping to see anyone, something to tell her that this wasn't just some messed-up nightmare that she couldn't escape.

He found a calm tone usually worked best when dealing with the girl he believed he had helped to raise since she was just a child, a teenager, fifteen, to be specific, nonetheless, a child. It had been a long winding road to get to where they were now, a place where she would even speak to them rather than spending her days sitting with folded arms, resenting them for what they'd put her through. It had taken months of persistence, but they were in a good place now. As good as it would ever get. A good enough place that he didn't feel the need to tread on eggshells around her when mentioning the town of Beacon Hills.

"Gabriella, have a seat." He repeated again. "Please."

She turned to look at the empty seat he gestured to, opposing him on an obnoxiously large table that she still questioned the reason of other than to intimidate whoever sat on the opposite end of it. Which tonight, would be her. Hesitantly, she pulled up the chair, sinking into what felt like a throne, swallowing the lump growing rapidly in her throat. Another clap of thunder sounded, yet another bolt of lightning illuminating an otherwise pitch black apartment, revealing the shadow of the man that sat staring at her. As he had earlier, he reviewed the elaborate scheme he had for their return to Beacon Hills, what exactly it entailed, why it was so necessary that they go back to that stupid place. She hadn't quite understood it then, and she didn't now either.

"I'm not trying to torture you, Gabriella." He told her, thought it certainly felt that way. With what he had planned it seemed like the second goal of the scheme was to torture her, to make her live a life she had lived before. To make her relieve her teenage years only for it to end the same way- in heartbreak. "You know I'm a fair man. This is a necessary evil. We have to do it."

"You." She corrected him. "You have to do this. I'll stay here in Seattle. You can take the others, I can hold down the fort here until you get back." Gabriella insisted, much more enthusiastic over this idea than his, this one didn't involve her past, and that was better than anything.

"Gabriella-"

"No!" She stood up, her chair falling over behind as the thunder clapped again. Lightning hitting a nearby tree, illuminating her angered silhouette. He could see the anger, he could even smell it from across the room. The hurt that she felt, they were all willing to do this to her. "No." She said again, this time in a mumble. "Stop Gabriella-ing me. I'm not going."

"You know him. He cares for you." He continued trying to persuade her as she paced the room, a hand running through her hair, scoffing at his every excuse. He was being ridiculous. If that were the truth she would have still been in Beacon Hills, a much happier person than she was now, his opinions were outdated, unjustified. It had been years. There wasn't an inch of prood behind the excuses that he gave her. If there were, she would know. "If I'm going to get him to join our pack I need you with me, Gabrie- Gabby." He corrected himself.

She shook her head, stammering for words. She had spent the past six years avoiding that town, for good reason too. The mention of it, physically going there, the people. She had avoided it all. She had never had any intention of crossing into its perimeters again. There was no need for her to go back, not now, not ever.

As he stood up his cane slammed against the floor, echoing alongside the storm, startling her as she jumped out of her skin, cowering as his glowing red eyes stared into her. Burning her soul. A sight she was sure she would never get used to. It didn't matter if every person she lived with in this apartment had those eyes, it didn't matter how much she looked into them. Every time she saw them she was taken back to that night. The images, the sounds of screaming. The blood and gore. She couldn't escape it. "You will come with us." His voice bellowed, shaking the apartment, Gabriella kept her head down, shaking like a leaf. When it was clear his methods of intimidation had worked, the man resumed his seat, watching as a tear rolled from her cheek, falling onto the carpet. "What do you say, Gabriella, are you ready to go home?"