14. manhunt

TIED SOULS

chapter fourteen ; manhunt
[ season three - episode twenty-one ]

𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐊 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐄'𝐒 eyes were scorned by the bright sun shining through his window as he woke up to a sound he didn't recognize

𝐃𝐄𝐑𝐄𝐊 𝐇𝐀𝐋𝐄'𝐒 eyes were scorned by the bright sun shining through his window as he woke up to a sound he didn't recognize. An unusual one at that. With a furrowed brow, he rolled over, expecting to see the blonde beside him in bed. He had two theories, and the missing space had confirmed the latter, she was the source of the noise. He groaned slightly as he turned back over to his side, seeing the time on the alarm clock. 5 a.m. An ungodly hour for any human. He spent a small moment lying in bed, considering ignoring her and the sound and going back to sleep, it wasn't as though he wouldn't find out what she was doing in a few hours. But could he wait that long? Or would the anticipation torture him?

Once again, it was the latter. With another groan, he pulled the sheets off of him in a strop. Partly hoping that the noise told the woman that she had woke him up, but he walked into the kitchen they now shared to find her completely unphased. He should have known better than to think it would bother her that she woke him up. If Gabby wanted him awake, he was awake.

The blonde was sitting at the breakfast bar, her head dug into a book in front of her while she'd twirled a piece of her golden locks around her finger, failing to even notice him standing there, watching her contently. He found himself in awe, he never thought he was capable of feeling at one, at peace, he might even say. There were moments when he imagined this, a long time ago when it almost seemed stupid to imagine. He imagined sharing a home with her, and having a life together. Of course, that was before everything was messed up. Before he fucked up and he, though he wouldn't admit this, had made the biggest mistake of his life. When such a thing had seemed possible without years of mishaps beforehand. But it was back on track now. He hoped at least.

He cleared his throat, waiting for a reaction. Still, nothing. She hadn't heard his obvious groan from the other side of the loft. The clearing of his throat when she stood right in front of him. If he wasn't the book she frantically flicked through, he was practically invisible. It hadn't occurred to her that the turning of pages could stir up such a sound, but then again, she hadn't given it a thought either.

Finally, Derek gave up on dancing around the bush. His hand slammed down on the book until it startled the blonde who finally raised her head. Her beautiful brown eyes were now bloodshot, a darkness around them from the lack of sleep. She smiled weakly, unaware of what time it was, how long she had been sitting here, or how she had woken him up with her incessant turning of the pages.

"What you doing?" He asked with a raised brow. Whatever it was, clearly, she had been doing it all night. He wasn't sure how she had wriggled out of bed without him noticing. So much for his supernatural senses. Gabby looked at the clock, her eyes widening as she was finally brought to Earth again, blinking harshly as she double-checked the time. Jesus Christ.