4. when we were young

TIED SOULS

chapter four ; when we were young
[ season three - episode eight ]

chapter four ; when we were young[ season three - episode eight ]

𝐓𝐖𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐒 were intertwined as they walked through dark, foggy woods. Their teenage size chests were having as they made sure to jump over any loose tree branches that stuck out of the ground, a slight slip of the foot was what stood between the two of them and death. Their lives were on the line, they couldn't afford to screw up, to make amateur mistakes. He looked over his shoulder, ensuring he still had a tight hold on his girlfriend, that she was still close behind him, somehow managing to keep up with him. He had never intended to get her into this mess, that would never be what he intended to do, if anything, he told her his secret to ensure her safety, so she knew the kind of dangers that were out in the world, lurking around dark corners. Anyone could attack her at any time. His family had enemies, and with their relationship, she was close to being part of that family, she was one of them, without the name or blood. His mother already saw her as family, and with that, she was in as much danger as anyone with the Hale name.

He didn't know where he was going as he dragged her through the woods, he wasn't thinking as straight as he should have been, he was following his instincts, too focused on running from the group of hunters to plan out a sensible route, or to even think of where they would go to hide. It wasn't like their secret spot was in a built-up area offering shelter, in fact, it couldn't have been further out of town if they tried. His house wasn't safe. And her house was miles away, though it would be safe for them, there was no saying they could make it that far without being caught by the hunters, or before her human legs began to give up on her, no longer able to keep up with a werewolf's speed.

Derek turned his head to look at Gabby again, her head also turned as she checked behind them in the hopes that none of the hunters were there. He urged her to be faster, he knew it wasn't the most ideal thing for him to say, she was probably running as fast as she could already, but there was no telling where the hunters were, just how hot on their tails they might be. Gabby sped up, no matter how tired her body felt, she was determined to keep running until her legs were non-existent. That was what it would take for her to give up, especially for Derek.

As the two continued to run, they became sloppy, less aware of their surroundings, worrying too much about the speed of their running. Soon, their sloppiness caught up with them as the wolf's foot was caught on a loose branch, tripping him up, taking the girl down too as the pair tumbled down a steep hill, landing with a groan. Derek looked up as a piercing sound rang in his ears, just in front of him, a metal stick was stuck in the ground, shining a soft blue light. His hands reached over his ears as he winced at the sound it released, the girl beside him unaffected by it, confused as to what was wrong with him. Before she had a chance to look at the metal stick in the ground, Derek pulled her up, beginning to drag her through the woods again, continuing their desperate escape. The two of them came across a dozen of those sticks, every one sending an unbearable sound into Derek's ears until he could no longer keep ahold of Gabby's hand, he needed them to cover his ears that felt like they were seconds from bleeding. She managed to keep up without a hand pulling her, ensuring to keep as close as possible without it.