9. fright night

TIED SOULS

chapter nine ; fright night
[ season three - episode sixteen ]

chapter nine ; fright night[ season three - episode sixteen ]

𝐎𝐂𝐓𝐎𝐁𝐄𝐑 𝟑𝟏𝐬𝐭. Halloween. A night known for frights, tricks, and treats. But for the people who already found themselves living a life full of those things, it was just a typical Monday. The rest of their lives were already deeply embedded with fear and monsters, it didn't seem like the kind of holiday for them to celebrate. At least that was how it felt for Derek and Gabby felt. Even as teens the two hadn't been fond of the holiday. Looking back, they should have celebrated it. 

Derek could have run around flashing his canines or his glowing eyes and fit right into the rest of the world for just one night. For one night, he could have been himself, and nobody would have questioned it. Back then, and even now, Halloween had been the last thing on their minds, both too wrapped up in werewolf business to act their age.

Gabriella sat in the loft, alone at the breakfast bar, staring at her phone in front of her. She wondered what Braeden was doing tonight, she hadn't heard from her since she had left her in the hands of Derek and Peter. She didn't manage to catch up with the mercenary like she had hoped to do, she could have used her old friend back in her life, but once again, she had disappeared, on another one of her missions to kill the people of the world who had wronged someone. That was fun, in retrospect, having a mysterious bad-ass best friend, in reality, it was hard when needing someone to talk to, a consistent friend.

She had considered reaching out to Braeden, but she never knew when the right time would be to call. Who knew what the woman was up to, whether her phone call might blow her cover and get her killed. She couldn't live with that, knowing her neediness had gotten what was probably her only true friend killed.

With a frustrated sigh, Gabriella locked her phone, sliding it across the counter so it was far from her reach. Hoping the saying "out of sight, out of mind" would apply to this. Derek walked around the corner as she did so, his hair dishevelled, stretching out his arms wide, flexing his muscles as he walked around shirtless. Perhaps it was his home, and he should be free to do whatever he felt like, even so Gabby couldn't help but wish he did it a little less, not because she didn't like the sight, because she did, and that was the problem.

He leaned on the counter, leaving her swallowing thickly as her eyes looked over him, admiring his muscular torso to the smile across his face, his slight dimples and the satisfaction of knowing that she was looking at him in that way. Gabby's eyes stook on his, trying to compose herself as she shook off any of the thoughts that plagued her. She tried to focus on something, anything else, ready to act as though they were acquaintances or maybe even friends. Anything but that they were. Complicated.