Chapter 5 the audition

Later that day I was sitting by the fireplace. Virginia walked up to me. "Hey." Virginia said. "Hey." I said. "Are you feeling any better?" Virginia asked. "I'm still a little shaken up but better than earlier." I said. "That's good. Your dad made some hot chocolate for us." Virginia said as she gave me one of the mugs with hot chocolate in it. "Thanks." I said. "It was really nice of your dad to invite me in considering our history together." Virginia said. "Yeah." I said. We sat in silence for a minute. "Look, I'm sorry I pressured you back there. I was feeling so guilty over what happened between us and I just wanted to make it up to you somehow. I know you have every right to feel crossed over my betrayal and I understand if you don't want to see my face ever again." Virginia said. "Apologizes and favors won't change the past. I'm not happy about what you did for obvious reasons. But I do know that holding a grudge against you won't solve anything either. It will just make things worse between us. Pushing people away to get rid of my anxiety only increased that anxiety altogether, even the people I cared about. Oh, what have I done? I pushed away the only other person I knew who understood how I felt. And now he's probably getting ready to use the silent treatment against me." I said. "Oh, you mean John? I wouldn't be so sure. You may think that but like you said, you don't know what he's actually thinking. Just talk to him. Don't suspect the worst from your friend unless you really hear it come from his mouth. At this point you've got nothing to lose." Virginia said.

"Since when did you become this analytical?" I asked. "Well, I guess that one video has been a great resource for other people who shut down." Virginia said. "What I'm trying to say is that, I forgive you." I said. "Really Ariel? You mean that?" Virginia asked. "This doesn't mean things will go back to how they used to be right away. But, hopefully, this first step could put us into good terms." I said. "So, no hard feelings?" Virginia asked. "Yeah, no hard feelings." I said. "Do you remember that time in third grade when we were outside for recess, I was getting picked on by two other kids. I was getting bullied both physically and mentally. I started to feel weak, thinking that everything they were saying about me was true. That's when you sprang into action. You came up behind me and told the bullies to back off. When they asked what you will do if they don't you said that you would go get the teacher, or maybe even tell the principal. After they left you took me over to this group of trees where we usually hung out with our friends to talk to me to help me calm down. That day you saved me from myself too." Virginia said. "Wow, I can't believe you still remember that." I said. "How could I not? It's easy for people to get into my head to alter my thoughts." Virginia said. Then she got a text from her mom. "Oh, that's my mom. I have to go. Tell your dad thanks for the hot chocolate and I hope things go well with you and John." Virginia said. "Thanks, and I'll be seeing you at the audition, right?" I asked. "You know I wouldn't miss it." Virginia said. Then we said goodbye to each other and she left. Then I texted John, asking him if he can come over and he texted back saying on my way. An hour or two later he rang the doorbell and I answered the door. He walked up to me and gave me a hug. "I'm sorry. You probably hate my guts but I mean it. When you texted me to come over I thought that it wouldn't hurt to talk to you." John said. "John, you don't have to apologize. This is kind of my fault too. I shouldn't have pushed you away, but when I saw you hugging Virginia, I thought that you..." I said when John cut me off. "Ariel, you're my best friend. You deserve to know the truth." John said. "You know you don't have to. It would be a total invasion of your personal bubble and I want to respect that." I said. "This isn't a topic I enjoy discussing with anybody. Ariel, there's something you should know about me. I..." John said before he stammered. I grabbed his hand gently. "No one will hurt you. This is a safe space." I said. "Ariel, the thing is, I shut down too. When I shut down I start to shake, I won't move, I will be sitting in the corner not talking to anyone, I put my head down, and if it's really bad I will lash out and possibly go Bloody Mary. It got really bad in eighth grade when people were pissing me off. People were playing what does the fox say and I told them to knock it off and even the teacher told them to knock it off. I went to a different part of the room and started to cry. After class Emily asked me if I was okay. I was still shaking a little--" John said before I hugged him, cutting him off. John and I talked for a few hours. It was around midnight when we walked out onto the porch. "Thanks for coming over." I said. "Anytime, anyplace. Thanks for having me over. Again, I'm really sorry for..." John said before I cut him off again. "You don't have to explain. Seeing you again, it really made my day." I said. "Same here." John said. "John, can I tell you something?" I asked. "Anything you want." John said. "Great, you just ruined the moment." I said with a laugh. "Alright, alright, I'm sorry. Please, continue." John said. "John, remember a year ago when I shut down because of Virginia?" I asked. "Of course." John said. "That day, when you helped me get out of it I never felt this content and gratified about myself in so long ever since Virginia betrayed my trust. It allowed me to see a side of Virginia that I didn't know about. Someone once told me that talking to someone you trust can be the best therapy after something like that happens. And now, I've come to realize that my answer is you, countless times you have made me feel better, you are my therapy." I said. "Ariel." He said. "Is that weird? Am I weird for saying that? Because I totally understand if it is weird while I'm attempting to sound poetic, because I've felt this way for a while and it took me so long for me to say it, finally since I've been searching for the right time..." I said when John kissed me cutting me off. "Hey, is it weird if I say that you're my therapy too?" John asked. "Well, as long as we both agree. Let's be weirdos together." I said before we kissed each other. Two days later I found out that Brianna got 100% on the SAT test. "That's awesome Bri! Congratulations." I said. "Thanks. I just wish my older brother was here to see this. He's been deployed for months now and sometimes I worry like when is he coming back, will he be okay." Bri said. "And I couldn't be prouder of you." Adam said. Bri turned around quickly and saw her brother walking up to us. "Adam, you're back!" Bri said before she ran up to him and hugged him. "Yes Bri, I'm back. And guess what, I'm not going to be deployed overseas for at least three years." Adam said. "You mean you'll be coming to graduation after all?" Bri asked. "Yeah." Adam said. They hugged each other. "I missed you so much Bri." Adam said. "I missed you too Adam." Bri said. Virginia and I don't hang out or talk to each other as much as we used to, but we're cool now. The day of the audition comes and when it was my turn I went up onto the stage and sang my once upon a time.

After that everybody that was watching me clapped. The judges loved my singing. One show led to another and now I'm in the drama club. It doesn't matter if I got the lead or not, it's not that important. There are more important things than getting the lead role in any of the plays. That doesn't mean that I will drop everything to pursue a career in acting but it's a possibility. Right now, it's just something that makes me happy. And I'm friends with Kira again.