Chapter 21 Tommy's death & Ariel's depression

Five years have gone by and we had our high school reunion. It was so much fun. The next day I was looking back at the time I was doing research with Tommy. That was before he became the science teacher at the high school. I was the junior paleontologist at the time also. I didn't really think too much about it ever since the lab was attacked but I have been thinking what I want to do with my life. When I was younger I thought being a paleontologist was the way to go but ever since that day when the lab was attacked, I was afraid that it might happen again. I have always followed my dreams, even if they were going to take a long time to achieve. A few weeks later I found out that Tommy got into a really bad car accident. Hayley told me that the doctor thinks that his injuries are fatal. He might only have a few hours at the least or a few days at the most but they said that he only has a few hours left to live. I decided to go to the hospital to see him one last time. I got there and Tommy was not doing so well. I walked up to his bedside and sat down on the chair by the head of the bed. I put my hand in Tommy's hand as he turned his head to look at me. "Ariel." He said. "Tommy, you're going to be okay." I said. "No, please. You have to let me go. I don't have faith. I don't want to pay this price. I don't wanna become that." Tommy said. "You won't. You never became what you didn't want to become because of me." I said. "I know, but I'm not as strong as you are, or Jason. I'm weak. The things I've done, I've done. I was evil before in my life. And it took years to push it away. I don't know if I can do it again." Tommy said. "But our future." I said. "I'll just be happy knowing that you'll have one." Tommy said as he gave his last breath and closed his eyes for good. Tears started to form in my eyes. I cradled Tommy's upper body in my arms and gave him one last hug. Then I laid his upper body back down. "Thanks for everything." I said before leaving. Hayley met with me later that day. "Hey, what's wrong?" Hayley said. "It's Tommy. He didn't make it." I said. I was crying. Hayley gave me a hug. "I'm so sorry." Hayley said. I couldn't tell the others what happened. I probably wouldn't be able to say it because of how sad I am. Hayley decided to tell the others what happened. The last person she told was John. He was sad about it too but he is taking it lighter than I am. I got so quiet. I don't want to talk to anybody. I started to feel like it was my fault that Tommy died but I just can't tell myself that it's not my fault. A few days later at the cafe John came up to me. "Hey Ariel, are you okay?" John asked. "I'm fine." I said. "You're not fine, are you?" John asked. "I'm fine John, don't worry about me." I said. "Ariel, something is bothering you. What is it?" John asked. "Nothing." I said. John gave me a non-convinced look. "Okay, fine. That obvious, huh?" I asked. "Yeah." John said. "Alright, fine, I'll tell you. You know that Tommy died, right?" I said. "Yeah." John said. "Well, ever since that day, I have been thinking that it's my fault that he died." I said. "Ariel, it's not your fault. I know that you feel responsible for what happened to him but you had nothing to do with it." John said. "Well, did you ever think that I could've had something to do with it?!" I snapped. Before he could say anything else I got up and walked away. I started to isolate myself from everyone. Virginia and Joe noticed that along with everyone else. "One of us should try talking to her." Virginia said. "But she won't listen to us." John said. "I can't seem to get through to her." Joe said. "Maybe the only person that can get through to her is you Virginia." George said. "Why me?" Virginia asked. "You had good history with her. Plus, you guys were like sisters." Joe said. "I guess I could try, but I doubt that I'll be able to get through to her." Virginia said. Virginia walked up to me the next day. "Ariel, can we talk?" Virginia asked. "I'm not in the mood right now Virginia." I said. "Look, I just want to say that I'm here for you." Virginia said. "Just because you say it doesn't mean that it's true." I said. Before Virginia could say another word, I walked away. Virginia walked over to the rest of them. "Couldn't get through to her either?" George said. "No. It's like none of us can get through to her." Virginia said. "I think I know someone who can get through to her." John said. "Who?" They all said. "My cousin, Jason." John said. "I guess we can get him to talk to her." Joe said. "Will he want to though? I mean, what if he thinks it's her fault that Tommy is dead?" George said. "George, none of us could get through to her. This is the last person who can try to get through to her." John said. "Alright, I'll call him and tell him what is going on and hopefully he can get through to her." George said before pulling out his phone and calling Jason. "Are you sure that Jason can get through to her?" Joe asked. "Yeah, he's a family friend to her family so he might just be the one that can get through to her." John said. "Okay, let's just hope that he can get through to her." Kira said. Then George walked back over to them. "I just got off the phone with him." George said. "What did he say?" Conner asked. "He said that he'll try to get through the her but he can't make any promises right now." George said. The next day Jason came to the cafe where the rangers and I usually hung out back when we were in high school. "Jason, I'm glad you're here." George said. "So, what's going on George? You're call sounded urgent." Jason said. "Did you hear what happened to Tommy?" George said. "All I heard was that he was in a car accident." Jason said. "Well, the car accident was really bad, and Tommy had some injuries but they were fatal. Ariel went to go see him for one last time before he died. I was guessing that she got to him when he only had a few minutes left to live. Anyway, she was holding his hand as he slipped away. And now, she is feeling like she had something to do with it when she had nothing to do with it. We all tried to get through to her but we couldn't." George said. "Wow, I didn't know that you guys were trying to help her through that. I could try to get through to her, but I can't make any promises. Speaking of Ariel, where is she?" Jason asked. "I'm not sure. Let me see." John said before texting me. The text message he sent to me said "Hey Ariel, we're at the cafe. Where are you?" I texted him back "I'm at my house, still in my bed. Why?" He texted me back saying "We were thinking about having lunch with you here. Can you at least come to the cafe and eat lunch with us?" I texted back saying "Okay, fine. I'll be there in ten minutes." I got out of my bed, put my shoes on, and headed to the cafe. (Yes I was dressed, not in my pajamas.) Anyway, when I got to the cafe I was really surprised to see Jason there with the rest of the team and our two allies. "Jason, what are you doing here?" I asked. "You're friends invited me to come here to eat lunch with them and you." Jason said. "Okay." I said. While we were eating Jason asked the others if they can give him a minute to talk to me alone and the others went to a different part of the cafe. "Your friends didn't just invite me here to eat lunch, they wanted me to talk to you about what happened with Tommy." Jason said. "Oh, you found out about that too?" I asked. "Yeah, but the thing is I'm here for you." Jason said. "Yeah, sure." I said sarcastically.