Darkness

Slowly I sharpened my blades to perfection and held them up to the light coming in from my window. They glinted and shined, but still I sharpened biding my time. I had changed into my normal assassin outfit of dark black cloth. Light and flexible it would make it easy to escape the scene once the Duchess of Newberry was dead.

     I had gotten used to the heavy, corseted gowns of the ladies of court and it seemed strange to be in such a light dress. The last gown I had worn lay draped on a chair its golden threads stark against the white fabric. It shown with a brilliance and I turned my head away as a thought raced through my mind.

It almost looks like a wedding dress...

     I scoffed and continued sharpening my knife vigorously. Like I would ever get married! I could never have a normal life at court filled with laughing, flirting, and gossip in the dark corners with the other ladies. Tears prickled my eyes and I blinked them away. Putting my knifes on the edge of the bed I went over to the dress and ran my hand over the fabric.

Queen Catherine had left days earlier and would be back in the morrow.

This is the last chance for me to complete my assignment.

     The Duchess would be in the Queen's Chambers making sure everything was ready for Catherine's arrival. Moving my hand away from the fabric I turned towards the door and grabbed my knives. Opening the door I took a step out, before turning back once more. Silently I scanned the room with its high four poster bed, grand wardrobe, lush carpet, and stately windows. This place had seemed like home to me after being here for so long. With one last regretful shake of my head I closed the door behind me.

Passing various hallways I came upon Jasons, which brought a small smile at the memory of our impromptu meeting.

-FLASHBACK-

"W-who's there?" I heard my voice crack

An amused voice came out of the shadows "I see someone has found my hiding place."

"Your hiding place? Oh I'm sorry ill move." I had already gotten up and began dusting myself off before I was stopped by the voice again as they stepped out of the shadows.

"No it's fine!"

Surprised I turned around and saw the person's face. Light features stared back at me. It was the man that had tried to comfort me from the tavern after I had lost to J. What was he doing here? Before I could find my voice he spoke again.

"You have been crying...why?" He sounded worried. Why was he worried, he had just met me?

"Oh..." I thought for a moment and remembering that I was supposed to be a Lady I confidently answered back "My dress ripped." Okay...that sounded stupid. But he just laughed and said,

"Wow must of been a really important dress." Before laughing even more and this time I laughed with him.

-FLASHBACK ENDS-

     Smiling at the memory I continued to the Queen's Chamber passing the small number of people that had stayed behind I gave them a small nod of acknowledgment earning curious looks at my state of dress. Turning towards the right I saw a huge wooden doorway at the end. There! That's the Queen's Chamber. I put my ear to the door and heard nothing, but what sounded like the Duchess humming to herself. Perfect...

Peeking inside I saw the shadow of a woman behind a curtain and I slipped inside of the dark room.

"Who is there? State yourself!"