The new assignment

Chapter 5- The new assignment

"You want me to what?" I was usually perfectly composed while meet employers;however, I have been noticing a definite decline in my calm facade since my last encounter with J.

The man's eyes widened and he started to stutter "I-I-I want y-you t-t-o please i-i-impersonate a v-visiting lady at the c-c-court a-a-and kill the D-D-Duchess of N-Newberry."

Was this man stupid? I stared him straight in the eye as I said "I do not kill people close to the Queen! The Duchess of Newberry is her closest confidant! Do you want me to be killed????"

I cannot believe I ever accepted to meet him. This was a waste of my time. I got up from the table and started to walk away.

"Wait! Ill make it worth your time my master has plenty of money!" He said chasing after me

"Ohh? So this is not your wish, but your masters for the Duchess to be killed?" I questioned the man turning towards him

"Will...yes" The man murmured head inclined not looking at me

Grabbing his chin I brought the small mans face up to mine "I like to do work face to face with my employer. Him sending a small servant just shows he is not as serious as I thought."

"H-he is a-a-a busy m-man..." the man managed to say as he sat frozen against my glare

Shaking my head I turned away again already pulling the head of my cloak up and reaching for the handle of the door. Making one last attempt to get me to accept his offer he grabbed the end of my cloak. I whipped around and grabbed him by the neck "Do. Not. Touch. Me."

Throwing him down onto the ground with disgust the man yelled "Please! I can offer you any amount!"

Why was his master so desperate to have the Duchess killed? Intrigued I questioned the little man still trembling on the floor "How much?"

Hope glimmered in the man's eyes and he looked up into my face "Any amount! just name it!"

How far would he go? Expecting to be laughed at for such a high number I told him "fifty thousand gold coins. That is my last offer take it or leave it."

"That's perfect! Thank you so much!"

What? That's more than three lifetimes of food, clothes, weapons, and lodging! The man scrambled over to my boots and started kissing them

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!"  What a pathetic excuse for a man...

Already eager to have the money in my hands I asked "What do I need to know?"

........................................................................................................................................................................

An hour or so later the man had told me everything I need to know:

1. My name would be Lady Alexandra Mandooren

2. I am visiting the court so that I may be presented as a full adult (Which all noble ladies must do at the age of eighteen)

3. My employer well be pretending to be uncle

4. That I also suffer from fainting and are therefore in my room a lot (This can explain my absence if need be)

Before leaving the man handed me a parcel. It felt heavy...looking inside  I saw a jumble of gold coins

Surprised I asked the man "What are these for? Some payment in advance?"

"Oh No! Those are two buy court dresses and whatever a young lady like yourself might need as a noble."

Stunned I looked at him in horror...that means wearing corsets, powder, jewelry, and hoop skirts. I Haven't worn any of that stuff since I was eight! 

What have I gotten myself into?