The man from the tavern

RECAP:

I blinked...no not him...did he not recognize me? I mustered up my courage and asked him a one-worded question. I needed the answer. Was he? Is he?

My voice cracked as I looked into the man's eyes "Dad?"

......................................................................................................................................................................

Chapter 10- The Man From the Tavern

My eyes started to burn as I waited for his answer and watched the expressions that crossed his face.

Confusion

Realization

Pain

Loss

Anger

Why would he feel anger? Anger at me? Anger at himself, perhaps he regrets what he did? I lowered my head feeling the weight that had shifted onto my shoulders once he left. I grow up without a father to love. More importantly my mother was left without a partner to raise me with. Finally he spoke,

"Josephine is it really you?"

Did he not see me? Of course I was Josephine, the daughter he left behind. Anger coursed through me in waves until finally all of my frustration poured out of me directed at him.

"Yes it is me! Of course it is! Do you not remember the way you broke my mother's heart?"

He took a step back as he answered "I remember... but Josephine you do not understand-"

Before he could start spewing lies I stopped him "What? What do I not understand? That you left us to pursue a younger wife and the fancies of court life?"

Another emotion that I did not expect crossed his face:

Surprise

Surprise?

"Your mother and me...did not love each other anymore."

Love? My mother loved him more than anyone else. That's why she tried to stop him from leaving...wasn't it? Pushing back the thought from my mind I screamed at him,

"YOU LIAR!  My mother tried to stop you from leaving she loved you!" I could feel tears start to come but I pushed them back and waited for him to own up to what he did.

"Josephine you have to understand! She did that because she wanted you to have a father in your life, but I knew she could never be happy so I became cruel and pushed her away."

He tried walking towards me in desperation, but I backed away.

"The day she died was the day I became a orphan."

Confusion crossed his face "But daughter, I'm still here. I tried to find you after your mother had passed away and take care of you."

I was already halfway to the door when I turned back to him.

"I was never your daughter." Slamming the door I ran down the corridor, which got me strange looks from the other nobles. I slowed down until I came upon a dark, deserted corridor that smelled musty from years of disuse.I slid down until my knees and cradled myself as I let my tears fall freely, the tears that had been left un-shed ever since my mother's death. The tears came and slowly I realized I was not alone as I heard a shuffle of feet.

"W-who's there?" I heard my voice crack

An amused voice came out of the shadows "I see someone has found my hiding place."

"Your hiding place? Oh I'm sorry ill move." I had already gotten up and began dusting myself off before I was stopped by the voice again as they stepped out of the shadows.

"No it's fine!"

Surprised I turned around and saw the person's face. Light features stared back at me. It was the man that had tried to comfort me from the tavern after I had lost to J. What was he doing here? Before I could find my voice he spoke again.

"You have been crying...why?" He sounded worried. Why was he worried, he had just met me?

"Oh..." I thought for a moment and remembering that I was supposed to be a Lady I confidently answered back "My dress ripped." Okay wow...that sounded stupid. But he just laughed and said,

"Wow must of been a really important dress." Before laughing even more and this time I laughed with him.

After what seemed like forever, we finally managed to calm down. I was about to say good-bye before I realized I did not know his name

"Umm...I am sorry but I seem to have forgot to ask your name"

He just smiled and answered "Jason, yours?"

I was about to say Josephine before I stopped myself "Alexandra."

He stared at me some more before asking "You seem really familiar do I know you?"

Should I tell him I was the girl from the tavern? No I can't, Ladys do not go to taverns let alone go to town. I had to keep my cover because my father was just another obstacle I needed to overcome, and by killing the Duchess I can finally get to J.

I shook my head at him before answering "Nope."

You do not know me at all...

..................................................................................................................................................................

Authors Note:

COMMENT AND VOTE PEEPS! And thanks to everyone that has commented, fanned, or voted. Because....-drum roll-

I MADE THE WHATS HOT LIST!

YAY! I am so having a mini happy moment!

And don't forget to...

Stay Awesome!,

A Very Happy Emilestie