3) The Expo

A few months had turned into more and now you had been stuck in the large warehouse for another six months. And, since cereal and water alone wasn't as sustainable as you'd hoped and had caused a few blackout spells, you'd been forced to get a job to pay for real food. It meant being especially careful when buying in case one of the cameras saw and identified you as (Y/n) Stark. Thankfully, though, the new look was holding up and you were doing okay.

In other news, the job wasn't as bad as you expected. It was simply waiting tables in a small cafe in a lesser known area of the city. It's what you were doing now, the cafe's logo on the small apron you wore, and a plate of bacon and eggs in your hand.

"Table four in the corner." Your boss instructed.

He was a nice guy, not a complete jerk but also not a pushover. You got very lucky in that department, even more so since he had no idea who you were.

You had now gotten used to the new look and started to feel more like you than ever before. You didn't have to wear anything expensive or over the top, the short hair was actually more convenient, and the new color was much prettier.

You went all out for the disguise, barely leaving anything from your old life around. Then again, since you had nothing to lose, it only seemed fitting to hide from everything and everyone in any way possible. You had gotten so used to running, you couldn't stop. It didn't matter if Obadiah was dead or not.

"Here you go. One bacon and eggs." You said politely, putting the plate on the table with a fabricated smile.

"Thank you, dear." An elderly man behind a newspaper said.

As he put the paper down, you noticed a specific article about the once famous Stark Expo. A frown appeared on your face as you tried to read it. However, you realized you were lingering and had no choice but to walk away. But, fortunately, as you walked towards the back for more orders, you heard two men discussing that very thing.

"The Expo's opening ceremony is tonight, isn't it?"

"That's right. I can't believe it's been thirty-four years!"

"It's supposed to go on for an entire year!"

"I've got my ticket. For the end of the month."

"How did you manage that? They're supposed to be near impossible to get."

"I know. Courtesy of Justin Hammer himself."

Your blood ran cold. You'd never met the man, but Hammer was the CEO of Hammer Industries, a weapons manufacturer much like Stark Industries. You knew he hated your father and vice versa. Why on earth would he be giving out tickets to his rival's expo?

Because of past experience, your first thought was negative, that he might be plotting something like Obadiah had been. You wondered if you were being paranoid, but reminded yourself that it wasn't wise to risk it either way. You may not have liked your father much, but it didn't mean you wanted him victim to another plot or scheme. Even if Hammer was just being a nice guy, you wanted to see for yourself.

As the two talked about the upcoming Expo, you saw the guy with the ticket show his friend. He then placed it inside his pants pocket and you knew you had to get it somehow. You definitely didn't have the money to purchase one yourself so it was the only option.

All it took was a single glance around the cafe to form a plan. You grabbed the scolding hot fresh coffee and brushed yourself down, trying to make yourself somewhat presentable and less messy. The small heels of your boots clicked on the floor as you walked over to the two men, plastering a smile on your face.

"Refill, gentlemen?" You asked sweetly.

Both nodded and moved their cups towards you as they talked about the Expo some more. You filled up the friend's cup first before moving on to the ticket holder's. You didn't stop pouring until it overflowed and spilled on his lap.