20) The Great Escape

The smoke had gone.

Your muscles hurt.

Everything was a blur.

The Gowanus Expy was flashing by in frames and you couldn't catch a single one with the speed you were going down the expressway. You only focused on holding the wheel and pushing down on the accelerator.

You didn't need to glance behind to become aware of the HYDRA agents in pursuit. There were several motorcycles coming up fast, far more agile than your car. It didn't matter what tricks it had, they would soon catch up. Your plan was to head for the underground tunnel that led to Battery.

The hail of fire still going on behind you was mere background noise now. It had simply gone on so long you no longer flinched when a shot whizzed past. But it was just as dangerous.

As the HYDRA bikes and the jet above tried firing at you, you swerved the car into the next lane. You avoided the bullets, but the car in the place you used to be wasn't so lucky. The rear window was smashed by the force and the people inside the car screamed as the driver was hit. It veered right into the side rails, almost flipping on impact.

A pang of guilt suddenly struck your heart, fearful at just how many innocents had already been hurt because of the chase. The only good side was that a police station lay to the side of the road below so help wouldn't be far for the injured passengers. Still, your chest tightened at the thought that this was all because of you and your situation. It wasn't in your control, but you hoped they would get the right help and compensation from SHIELD or even yourself for it all.

"Approaching the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel, Miss." FRIDAY informed, shaking you back into reality. "Traffic estimates are at fifteen minutes."

"Dammit!" You cursed.

While the HYDRA bikes might not have trouble dodging the other vehicles, your convertible was a little more sticky to fix.

Sticky...

Your eyes lit up.

"FRIDAY, switch to sticky speed."

"Yes, Miss." She replied.

It was a little hack you had yet to test out with somebody inside the car, but the main principle was that with enough speed and elevation, the car's wheels would stick to anything whether it be cement or bricks. The tests had been successful so far, so now it was just a matter of your own driving capability.

As you approached the tunnel, you could see the budding traffic jam. Since the walls were already rising, you quickly sped through a gap in the lines, driving right up the wall.

Due to the unexpected turn in events, one of the HYDRA agents following smashed right into the car in front. The rest of his friends were stunned, momentarily losing concentration and almost killing themselves in the process. Unfortunately, though, they quickly recovered.

"How the hell did she do that?!" One of them screamed into his comms.

But no one was capable of forming an answer because, once inside the tunnel, you actually switched to the ceiling, your hair almost covering your eyes as it fell down.

It became increasingly harder for the agents to get a clear shot at you because they now had to focus on driving as well as trying to follow you above. That was the good news.

The civilians inside the other vehicles seemed amazed by the scene unfolding in front of them, most of them even getting out video phones to showcase their reactions.

You couldn't resist a laugh and stuck up your middle finger to the agents below.

However, the briefcase containing the scepter almost slipped through the belt that held it to the passenger seat. You quickly reached out and let out a pained gasp as your shoulder stung from the action.