18) It's A Long Way Home

You did more damage than you realized to the farm when you crashed into it. A small structure was destroyed, as well as the outside fence, and not to mention the actual crop itself.

"There you go." You said, handing a real check to the old farmer.

"Damn kids." He muttered, shaking his head.

"Yeah..." You nodded. "Look, uh... Do you happen to know the nearest rest stop? A gas station or cold store?"

"You mean the distance from my destroyed corn?"

You groaned. "I already said sorry."

"Sorry ain't gonna grow it back." He then looked at the check and his attitude changed. "Your money might, though."

You crossed your arms. "Yeah. Now back to the question?"

He nodded. "Ten minutes down the road you'll find some gas."

"Thanks. I don't suppose I can leave my car here since it's... You know..."

"Fine." He grumbled. "There's a can in the shed."

"Thanks."

With that, you went off to pick up the gas can. The walk wasn't as bad as it could have been but your shoulder was killing you. Metaphorically and perhaps literally.

"Couldn't have checked the meter, could you?" You grumbled. "Had to leave in fashion. I'm really stupid for a smart person."

The gas station you arrived at was pretty much abandoned save for one other car, and even that was probably for whoever was behind the counter.

You couldn't help remembering the last time you stayed at a stop like this with Coulson. That was certainly an experience. Hopefully this time it would be quieter.

You unscrewed the cap of your can and started filling it up, glancing around nervously. The whole HYDRA taking over SHIELD thing had shook you up, and now the world knew who you were, you would be recognized much more easily. Someone was probably after you right now.

"Hey, FRIDAY?" You said softly, tapping your bracelet.

"Yes, Miss?" She replied from the small device.

"Thanks for warning me about the car. I appreciate it."

"Of course. It is part of my protocol to ensure you are not harmed."

"Yeah, I'm well aware... Thanks anyway. God, I'm hungry."

You hadn't eaten since leaving the warehouse. You couldn't even remember how long ago that was, several hours perhaps.

"FRIDAY, how far is Avengers Tower by car?"

"The fastest route takes 130 minutes, two hours and ten minutes."

You sighed. "That's gonna take a while."

"It will be worth it, Miss."

"Yeah... Yeah, I hope so. I'm just gonna grab something for the road."

You headed inside the store, digging around for whatever money you had left over. Thankfully, having a couple of bucks crumpled in the bottom of your pocket worked out.

The store was surprisingly vibrant for a gas stop, with colorful walls and packaging lining all the aisles. There was a customer already waiting so you decided to look around for snacks, finding a hot dog in the process which looked too good to ignore.

Playing in the corner of the store was a TV. It was currently playing the sports channel but the employee behind the counter flicked it over to the news as he talked to the customer in front.