4) Revelations

Fourteen-year-old you had always been curious. You explored every inch of the house from the moment you could walk. You couldn't even count on both hands the amount of times your father had found you messing around in his workshop. But even if you were just sitting there, not touching anything and being good for once, he still sent you out.

Until the day you decided you wouldn't just sit there and not touch anything. Until the day you decided to explore the workshop for real.

You didn't know why, if it was out of spite for being constantly ignored or just because you were bored out of your mind, but this time you searched every inch of the workshop for something to do. You looked through blueprints, you pretended to drive the cars, and you even fiddled with some of the helper robots dotted around.

"(Y/n), what are you doing?" A stern voice asked.

You paused what you were doing and slowly spun around. "Good afternoon, father dearest."

There was a heavy sigh as he approached. "I told you to never come in here."

"I'm a kid." You shrugged. "It's not in my nature to sit in one place for longer than an hour."

"And all the places you could have wandered to, you come to the one I expressly tell you to avoid."

"Pretty much."

Tony looked away, hating the fact you were almost exactly like him. The attitude was the worst since the pair of you could never have a decent conversation without one making a comment that set off an argument or disagreement every five minutes.

"Why can't I just watch?" You asked. "It's not like I'm going to sabotage your latest invention or paint the Porsche pink."

He gave you a deadpan look. "That's exactly what you'd do. Just go, (Y/n)."

You jumped up from your seat. "What, not even a please?"

"(Y/n)."

"Yeah, yeah. Fine. I'm going. So long. Arrivederci. Adios. Au Revoir. Sayōnara." You continued pouring out the flat goodbyes as you left the workshop. "See you in hell."

You knew a fourteen-year-old like yourself shouldn't be saying that kind of thing to a parent but you just hated that he never spared you a glance when you needed him. For once in your life you just wanted to bond with your dad. Was that too much to ask?

You moved to the library after that, hoping something in there would help with the boredom instead. At least ten minutes of aimlessly walking between aisles turned up nothing and you were about to leave again until you finally spotted something worthwhile.

"Hello..." You mused, walking over to a little box tucked away in a corner.

You hadn't seen it before which was intriguing enough in itself and a new sense of excitement filled you as you skipped over. It wasn't even locked, like it was just waiting for you.