7) The Battle of New York

Aliens were everywhere.

You had seen billionaires in flying suits, a secret organisation dedicated to global security, a super soldier, and even a Norse God! Aliens shouldn't have been such a stretch. And yet you could barely breathe.

"This is not how I planned my Friday afternoon." You muttered to yourself, backing against a wall to get a good view of what was happening.

It was like hell on earth. Already bodies were lying in the street, most of them trapped under rubble. Some were even children, barely older than Peter. It broke your heart and you knew you couldn't just stand there and watch as people died.

You had to do something.

You returned to the dilapidated coffee shop and grabbed your bag, digging around it until you found another new invention. Tiny balls filled with acid. You stuffed as many as you could into your pockets before leaving, your heart still going at one million miles per hour.

You quickly ducked for cover upon seeing one of the aliens trying to attack a family with very small kids. It was threatening them with a spear and chittering in a language you couldn't understand.

You grabbed one of the acid balls and flung it at the back of the alien's head. It exploded on impact and the creature let out a deafening shriek as the flesh on its body burned away. Luckily all it took was the one hit and it dropped to the floor, presumably dead. The family didn't stop to see who saved them and took off without looking back.

"You're welcome." You called after them.

Already you were tired but you knew it was because of all the smoke and obstacles now lying in the streets. It was impossible to go anywhere without climbing over a dozen fallen street posts or even a whole building.

Your first thoughts once you had time to collect them was to go after the Parkers and Ned. But you had faith they were safe at school and work. Those places weren't in the heart of the city so they were at the least risk right now. They would be safe.

Then a scream pierced the air.

You spun around, panicking, and saw a little girl running from five or so aliens. They were heading your way and it was too late to hide so you fought instead. You threw some of the acid balls and managed to take out four of the pursuers, leaving only one more.

It was about to take a shot at the little girl with its gun but you ran forward and snatched the weapon from its hands. You kicked the alien back and pulled the trigger which sent the thing flying a couple hundred meters away and into the ruins of an apartment block.

"Are you okay?" You quickly asked the girl.

All she did was cry, running up to you and hugging you tight.

"Hey, it's alright." You cooed, looking around. "Where are your parents? Who were you with?"

"My dad." She sobbed into your shirt and shook her head. "He took me for milkshake and the monsters came."

You crouched down and carefully lifted her up. "Don't worry, sweetheart. We're gonna find your dad and get you home, okay?"

She was too upset to say anything and just nodded feverishly as she clung to your neck. You held her tightly and tried backtracking to where she came from in hopes she would find her dad and point him out.

"What's your name?" You asked the girl in hopes to keep her mind off of the destruction and chaos.

It took her a moment to calm herself down before she answered. "Liz."

"Hey, Liz. I'm Ellen." You smiled at her. "I know everything looks very bad right now but I need you to tell me if you see your dad, okay?"

She nodded and sniffled, wiping her tears away, and flinched at all the fires and ash building in the streets. As you ran you kept her safe, throwing acid balls with one hand and holding her close with the other.