25) All The Things Lost

In their Queens apartment, Ben Parker was trying to explain your story to May.

Since the two had come home, it was all they could talk about. Ben had to reveal he had known the truth all along and that Fury organized everything between you and them. It was a lot for May to process, and more than once she found herself taking a break just to comprehend the stories.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She asked tearfully.

Ben sighed, feeling guilty. "I'm sorry."

"But you told me about your brother and Mary being with SHIELD right after we got engaged. What was so different with Ellen? O-Or... (Y/n)? I would've understood."

"I'm so sorry. It was a sensitive topic and we were all worried for her."

"I'm your wife, Ben."

"And I'll never forget it. That day, our vows, how beautiful you looked in that dress..." He closed his eyes. "It was the hardest thing I had to do, keeping this from you."

"We vowed that we wouldn't lie to each other." She reminded him. "Do you remember that bit?"

"Of course I do, sweetheart. If it was my choice, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you everything. It was Fury who made the call to keep it quiet. (Y/n) wasn't comfortable with people back then either."

"What does that mean?"

"She didn't want to be known as the Stark Runaway or some rich guy's rebellious kid. She wanted a clean slate, to just be a person, a friendly neighbor. And she was going to tell you herself eventually. She just didn't want you to see her differently."

"I wouldn't." May looked away. "I love that girl so much. She's still going to be Ellen Campbell to me. She's not a runaway. She's her own person."

She found herself gazing at the apartment door. It was right on the other side of it where they first 'bumped' into you.

"She's always there when we need her, Peter loves her like a sister... And now that I mention it, she's practically a daughter to us too." She felt the tears sliding down her cheeks. "Is she going to be in danger?"

Ben wished more than anything that he could give a definite answer but the truth was that he simply didn't know. His silence gave that away too.

"Oh, my God." May whispered, hiding her face in her hands. "She told everyone who she was, said people would be after her... What's going to happen? Are we in danger too? The SHIELD leak-"

"Hey, hey, hey." He quickly wrapped her up in a comforting embrace. "You don't have to worry about that. Fury took precautions. He destroyed the files about Pete's parents and us when they died so he wouldn't ever be a target."

"And Ellen?"

"I... I don't know. But you know what she's like."

She managed a little nod, looking up at him. "She's strong."

He nodded, kissing the top of her head. "That's right. She's like a superhero."

"She'll be okay. She has to be."

"Before I left the station, the guys were showing off these videos of some car chase in Battery Tunnel. This car was driving up the walls and there were guys on bikes shooting at it. It had to be her."

"The other nurses showed me that too!" May gasped. "I thought it was, but there wasn't a clear line. I don't know if I'm more proud or terrified."

"At least we're on the same page about that."

As they continued to discuss the matter, Peter was sitting in the living room. He was busy with homework and completely oblivious to the conversation happening a few feet away.