16) A Taste of Your Action

-2013-

A year had passed since the Battle of New York and things in the city were just about getting back to normal.

The major landmarks had been reconstructed, more housing had been built to shelter those who had lost everything, and the losses sustained that day had been mourned. The Avengers were also a well established group now, everyone knew their names.

It was seemingly a normal day in the tower. Most of them were wandering the halls - save for Natasha who was on a mission of her own and Tony who was somewhere else - and it was Steve who found something that piqued all of their interest.

In Tony's personal space was a picture in a frame. The frame itself was brand new, meaning it was frequently looked after, but the picture was much older. It showed a girl of perhaps fifteen years of age who looked strikingly similar to someone they all knew.

"Why does she look like Stark?" Clint asked, speaking everyone's mind.

"She seems familiar." Thor said, certain he'd seen someone like her before.

"She does." Bruce agreed.

"Does he have any living relatives?" Steve questioned.

"Wouldn't we know?" Clint asked. "I mean, the Starks have always been famous. And arrogant. You'd know if there was more than one."

"He's never mentioned a girl." Bruce said. "There's probably a reason for it."

"I'm asking Pepper."

Before anyone could stop him, Clint was off. The other three shared a glance before following suit and going all the way up to Pepper's office. She was sitting at her desk going through various paperwork, probably for Stark Industries.

Steve politely knocked on the door and she looked up, a friendly but intrigued smile on her face, before waving them in. They filed in one by one, filling the space easily.

"Are you guys okay?" Pepper asked.

"We require information." Thor stated.

"What kind of information?"

"In Stark's office there is a picture of a girl. What is she doing there?"

"Straight to the point." Clint mused. "I applaud you."

"Oh..." Her smile faltered. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why? Who is she?" Steve asked.

"It's a complicated story, and I don't think I should be the one to tell you."