28) Easy's Never Been This Hard

New York City was always a busy place.

From its beginnings as New Amsterdam, all through the years and to its modern day, it was filled with people on the streets desperate to complete their errands of the day. It was certainly called 'the city that never sleeps' for a reason. It had a heart and it had a rhythm, and it was only for just that one day that Tony wished more than anything the city would somehow shut down.

For once it was clear in the skies, not a single gray cloud or speck in sight. At least that made it seem less foreboding.

Tony and Pepper stood in their room, both in black attire. The latter was fixing the former's tie, her eyes focused on the pendant and key that rested on Tony's chest. Once she was finished with the tie, she paused to take in Tony's expression.

It was distant and cold. Sad.

He was still mourning but, much to everybody's relief, he was starting to finally come to terms with your death in the week that had passed since the destruction of his lab. Pepper made sure to prioritize his injury above all else and kept him on a strict rest and wellbeing regime with the help of Bruce and Dr. Cho.

-

It was a few nights before the funeral and Pepper couldn't sleep.

She lay awake in the bed she shared with Tony and busied herself with sorting through digital files and paperwork on the laptop. It was tedious to do at that hour of the night but it was a welcome distraction from the harsh reality of things.

It had been an hour before Tony began to stir next to her. His eyes were shut tight but his other features showed clear panic and fear.

"I'm sorry." He mumbled to himself.

Another nightmare.

"Tony." Pepper whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder. "Tony, wake up."

He responded, but not to her. He continued to mumble things about you, how he wanted to do more and how he should have been faster or quicker and how you lost your entire future because of him.

Pepper placed her laptop on the bedside table and tried to wake him again by using gentle but firm shakes and a slightly raised voice to try and get through.

After some time, it finally worked, and Tony startled awake with labored and shaken breaths.

"Hey." Pepper said softly, making sure he could see her face before he started to panic about his surroundings. "It's okay. You're home."

Tony didn't reply initially and only managed a breathless nod. By the time he finally found his voice again he had processed the surroundings properly.

"I'm sorry." He told Pepper. "Bad dream."

"I know."

"I don't get why I can't stop it."

"It's subconscious. No one can."

"Does it bother you?"

"Never." She smiled lovingly. "We'll get through it just like last time. Together."