6) Days In The Life

Life as a SHIELD inventor and engineer was more rewarding than you could have ever anticipated.

You made an updated version of Captain America's 40s suit, giving it a cutting edge look, which, in your opinion, was much more badass than the original. You also helped make some arrows for Agent Barton, some of which included cable, explosive, smoke, and sonic. You were also working on electro arrows that would deliver a 21,000 volt charge upon impact.

Putting down the new invention, you told FRIDAY to make notes on some elemental reactions that may occur while you left the New York base for the day. It was time to meet the family you were protecting for real.

You had spoken to Peter's uncle Ben and arranged an 'accidental' run in to introduce yourself as the quiet neighbor. You'd spent many months watching over them already as per Fury's wishes and you found them to be a perfectly normal but talented family. You knew Aunt May was a nurse and Uncle Ben a police officer and that Peter himself was incredibly smart. You were excited to get to know him.

As you left the building you met Coulson along the way and shared a goodbye with him before shrugging on a jacket and flipping your hood up. Even though a couple years had passed since you ran away, the paranoia still fueled your every move. It was simply the norm now.

Two things caught your attention as you headed home, the first being a giant building for sale. It had been sitting there for weeks at a ridiculous price but apparently someone had bought it. And, realizing just who it was, your demeanor changed from paranoid to paranoid times ten.

'The first completely clean energy-powered skyscraper in Manhattan. A model for future development.'

You looked at the sign and the logo beneath it, wondering why your father would buy such a huge place and for what? He had a home in Malibu, the Stark Industries HQ, and the last time you checked there was still a search for you that he hadn't given up on. Maybe moving away from that place was him finally moving on.

You should have been happy that he might be giving up, that he could finally move on, but there was still an ache in your heart. Despite all the arguments and ignorance, the snarky comments and then silent treatment, you missed him. After all, he was your father.

The second thing you noticed was the all too familiar super soldier sitting at the cafe across the street. His head was down, focused on a drawing by the looks of it, and occasionally looking up at the Stark building. You didn't know him well but you'd seen him in the city from time to time and observe.

He looked lost and was clearly still trying to adjust to the modern world. You watched for a moment as a pretty blonde waitress approached him and they exchanged a few words. You smiled, secretly he might ask for her number.

But you didn't stop to talk and pulled your hood further over your head, hiding your eyes. You kept your head down and senses tuned as your boots clicked on the sidewalk. You didn't stop walking until you reached Queens. It was a very long walk and took forever but it was good exercise and gave a chance to clear the mind.

On your street, you noticed a desk. It didn't appear to have an owner since it was simply left outside the apartments, abandoned. You stood there for a solid minute, thinking about your own place in the building two doors down. You'd been there a while but it was still pretty empty. Perhaps a desk could lighten it up some.

You secured your bag and lifted it. It was pleasantly light and you didn't have much trouble heaving it over to your building. You fumbled a while to reach the keys but managed it eventually and unlocked the door, pushing it open.

"Where's the desk?" You then heard someone mumble down the street. "I swear I left it here."

You froze, peering around the doorframe and seeing someone scratching their head as they looked down the street.