2. Woman in Pink

CHAPTER 2

"Pink!"

Two middle-aged women talked about the unexpected storm last night.

"I swear I saw pink lightning." The woman said to the grocery clerk, but Tilly didn't want to hear their conversation. She grabbed her brown bag of vegetables, flour, and butter and moved out slowly onto the town's street. Tilly pulled up her wide rimmed glasses. The sooner she got home to her mother, the better. She didn't enjoy being out about the uptight town.

She pulled up her brown cardigan over her dull yellow shirt and baggy skirt, that fell below the knees with high tanned socks. She slinked away against the walls, not wanting anybody to notice her as her pumps tapped lightly on the cobble steps.

But her heart stopped, and her face itched with anxiousness.

She spotted Oliver, the butcher's son, and she melted into the walls further — scratching her heated acne on her cheeks with thetips of her fingers. His face embodied the likes of a Greek prince with his strong jawline. In his early twenty's he was built like a chiseled rock. Playing football and hauling heavy meat all day could leave your body muscled with his tall frame.

Tilly got all giddy inside, wondering how his body looked underneath his tight trousers that played little to the imagination with the huge bulge in the front. Her fingers left her spotty face and gripped the brown paper bag tighter, her nails digging in — threatening to tear it. She bit her bottom lip and slammed her body against the grey stoned wall and shook her silly and impure thoughts away. She should not be thinking about a man like this. It was improper.

She walked and tried to look away, but his pitch-black hair in neat waves, with a single curl that dangled on his forehead and crystal blue eyes, was mesmerizing. Tilly stopped and pouted. The postman's daughter was chatting with him. She was pretty, unlike her, in a beige capri pants and black jersey with brown pumps. A scarf tied around her neck as she giggled beside him with her clear, porcelain skin. There chuckles floating in the air, terrorizing her ears.

Didn't the pair know it was illegal to flirt?! She angrily thought. Tilly marched back home a few houses away. She passed another girl in town who had her nose stuck in the air. 

Alice. 

She and her aunt were the worst with their tasteless sweet buns they sold at their lousy pastry shop. What the hell was the point of calling them sweet?!

She shook her head, infuriated. A girl like Alice, with her blonde looks, could trap a man like Oliver, and he would like it, too! Her thoughts angered Tilly as her frustration grew — flaring up her blemished skin,and stomped all the way home.

Without warning, her skirt flipped up above her head. A blast of wind gusted by, pulling her modest skirt up. Her white cotton panties were out on full display. Good golly, she hoped Oliver hadn't seen!... Or maybe she did?

But she didn't have time to steal a peek at him. A loud sound of wheels erupted into the town as she forced her skirt roughly down. Tilly stood frozen on the spot as her eyes stared at the baby pink Cadillac pulling into Finchdale with the rest of the townsfolk.

The Cadillac drove fast through the town with the rare beeps of hooting — gaining stares and gazes as it whizzed past. The vehicle was spotless, with its top down, and was driven by a woman with a light pink silk scarf over her head and draped delicately around her neck. Her black cat eye sunglasses hid her eyes. Her hands grabbed the large steering wheel with white-gloved hands. Tilly's eyes raised as the Cadillac raced towards her. She grabbed her heart as it came to a dead stop in front of a door. Tilly swallowed hard as she turned beside her to see where this mysterious woman had parked.