22. I Put a Spell on You

CHAPTER 22 

The strawberry burst of sweetness in Serena's mouth. The juice gushed slightly from the corner of her mouth. She had munched on three strawberries already, overlooking her empty shop as she stood behind her counter.

It had been a full day, and not one customer entered. Talk about taking two steps forward and twenty steps back!

An exhausted huff escaped her mouth.

Today was fucking Wednesday, and last night's council meeting made sure no one in town will buy her chocolates today.

"Fuck!" she hissed. "Damn mayor!"

She threw the stem of the strawberry from her mouth and sauntered to the open front door that nobody entered through. Her eyes darted the people hurrying past her shop. They were polite to her as they walked by with awkward smiles and guilty looks.

Except for one.

Ms. Baker slinked out of the pastry shop with a haughty smile as she looked at Serena with a smugly raised brow. She held a teacup in her hand, sipping on her tea and pointed her sharp nose up with conceit. An air of superiority brushed off her as a few customers dribbled into Baker's Delight.

Serena rolled her eyes and sauntered back inside.

"I'm starting to hate that woman." She gritted her teeth.

"Hate who?"

Serena spun around, recognizing her squeaky voice. Only one girl in town snuck up on her like a fox. Whiskers! Tilly's steps were silent as a mouse!

"Oh, just Ms. Baker across the street." Serena snarled. "I wouldn't mind wiping that grin off her beak-like face. And maybe turn her into a bird to match her looks." She smirked.

Tilly chuckled. "Oh, how I wish. I've never been too keen on her and her niece, either. Especially Alice." Tilly pursed her lips. "She's quite mean. Always been a bully to me since we were children. Teasing and poking at my skin."

Serena smiled. "Well, I see she won't be able to tease you anymore." She said. "Your acne is clearing up well."

Tilly touched her cheeks and smiled. "Yes, there's only two pimples left. And you can hardly see them!" her finger pointed at her forehead. "Your mud cream worked marvels." Tilly even combed her heavy fringe back. You could see her face, but still hidden under thick-rimmed glasses.

"You look more confident." Serena beamed. "I'm glad for you. Now you can show off your pretty face."

Tilly gushed, pressing her hands against her cheeks. She looked around and her smile dropped.

"I'm sure you're wondering why your shop's empty." Tilly began and frowned. "At the council meeting last night, the mayor introduced another rule. Number 11 — We're not permitted to purchase —"

"— any treats on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday." Serena sighed out, completing Tilly's sentence. "Yes, I know."

"Oh," Tilly slanted her head. "I'm not allowed to speak to you, too." She shifted on her feet. "My mother said I mustn't."

Serena folded her arms and studied her. "Do you think I'm wicked, Tilly?"

"No... That's why I'm not listening to my mother." Tilly shook her head, giggling. "But your treats are strange, though."

"Your right... they're not ordinary." Serena agreed, and Tilly looked at her oddly. "I pour my love into it."

Tilly smiles and nods as Serena breathed out and dropped her eyes to the floor. Tilly had never seen her so despondent. "I'm sorry this has happened, Serena." But she went further. "It must be lonely, not to have anyone by your side."