8. Welcome to Tricky Treats Store

CHAPTER 8 

Mrs. Baker watched through her pastry shop's window as Serena walked inside her new store, named Tricky Treats.

She pursed her lips. "What sort of hellish name is that for a shop, huh, Alice?" Mrs. Baker snarled distastefully.

Alice moved forward to inspect the sign and chuckled. "What sort of shop opens with newspapers still attached to the windows?"

In a flash, Serena tore off the newspapers from the window, revealing all the splendors inside with the help of... Theo! Alice gasped at the picture of cheerful, colorful candy of all sorts — and alluring chocolates and truffles displayed beautifully behind the window. Her right eye twitched at her new enemy.

Alice scrunched her nose and glanced at her own shop's sweet breads and pastries behind Aunt Nora. It hardly compared to Serena's captivating chocolate, which wasn't a good thing. A boy riding his bicycle glimpsed at the treats through Tricky Treats Store's window and stormed into the nearest trash can, distracted by all the decorated truffles.

Mrs. Baker grimaced. "What utter nonsense she's selling. Sweets! Chocolate! Candy Apples!" she scoffed.

"She might be competition against us." Alice murmured.

"Rubbish!" Mrs. Baker snapped and smiled coolly." Don't worry, Alice dear. She won't be competition. I know this town. The people don't like strangers and they won't like her candy. Or whatever cavity she's selling." She snarled her upper lip.

"Finchdale better not disappoint." Alice mumbled, playing with the silver necklace on her neck. She'd seen Theo many times with Serena, and it made her skin crawl and turn green with jealousy!

Why was Theo over there?! She cursed inside.

It made Alice's blood boil to see him with her. Why would he give Serena the attention and not me? She snarled. She was the one that knew Theo since they were twelve years old — NOT SERENA!

The stranger's name turning sour in Alice's mouth. And now Serena has a store better than our own. It seems like Serena might be more competition than she had expected.

The Aunt and niece looked on as residents stopped at Tricky Treats and stared at the wonders inside.

Mrs. Baker and Alice weren't impressed.

*

The mayor's jaw tightened at the spectacle of candy and observed the children ogle at it in awe.

"Sweets... Candy... Chocolate." He gritted his teeth. Feeling the dentist appointments filling up for half of the damn town!

The mayor smiled tightly as he watched Serena in her tight skirt, who revealed too much flesh for his eyes up the ladder, hand out lollipops to the children. Obviously, they're naïve, easily tricked by anything sweet. However, he was pleased to see the adults holding back. A small smile hiked up his mouth. They knew better than to give into temptation.

He walked slowly to the shop and peered at the tooth decay through the window waiting to happen. He grimaced at the fact of entering such a business and held off and remained outside.

"Do you like the name, mayor?" a velvety voice asked with a hint of a Latin accent. He clenched his hands tighter behind his back, clasping his three marbles in his left hand.

"Tricky Treats Store." The mayor said the name liked it pulled out his teeth. Although he disguised it with politeness. "It's an interesting name for your shop."

Serena whipped her head back in pride.

"May I ask why you call it Tricky?"

Serena popped her brows up. "You see, it is quite tricky to decide which treat you would like to eat." She licked her bottom lip, making the mayor shift inside. "I offer many options, mayor. You welcome to try out my milkshakes, too."