4. Madam Serena

CHAPTER 4 

Serena popped up her brows as she regarded the mayor. He was a very tall man, all in dark grey. His black skinny tie matched his glossy shoes. The mayor was well coordinated with his sandy blonde hair that was sleeked back with a side path. But his eyes are what tangled her. It was striking blue and fiercely intense.

Hmmm, the man in charge... she wickedly thought. "Oh, hello Mr. Mayor." She gave an alluring smile and bent over to retrieve her cat that returned to her.

The mayor's eyes roamed Serena from her updo hair covered in a scarf down her tight three-quarter jeans and even tighter top. His eyes stuck on the slit of her breasts as she bent over. He diverted his trained eyes instantly to her face again, upholding eye contact with a stiff smile. He wasn't like the other weak men that fell victim for breasts and exposed flesh and could easily look past it. But he was fairly taken by surprise by her outlandish fashion and by that he meant low top and shapely clothes. He immediately disapproved of. 

But not to worry... she'll soon learn.

William Pearson studied the old shop and the outsider who now occupied it, with her unnecessary high heels and emerald eyes that observed him. He did not take kindly to as he played with his three smooth marbles loosely in his left hand.

He moved around liked he owned the building he stood in, eyeing the damages that still needed to be fixed, and looked at Theo with a raised brow.

He cleared his throat. "I know a few more repair men who can be of service to you Mrs....?"

Serena gave a sly smirk. "Miss Serena will do."

The mayor hiked his brows with interest. "Miss Serena...?" He needed a surname. She was above the age of twenty-five, he was sure of it.

"Just Serena will do even better." She said and carried on wiping down the glass counter. "And no need for extra repair men. My boy Theo here is just perfect." She gave a cheeky wink at Theo and the mayor caught the indecent action.

The mayor nodded tightly and straightened his back, displaying his authority. "Very well." He said stiffly. "I want to invite you to a council meeting we have as a community. It takes place every Tuesday and -"

"No." She blurted. "I have to decline. Unfortunately, I won't be attending."

The mayor plastered on his smile and blinked hard at her brashness. "There are laws in Finchdale. I'm sure Theodore made you aware of it." He said. "You can find them attached next to the front door at the town hall. We abide by all ten of them. The first law prohibits the sale of alcohol and luxuries after 6pm."

"Oh dear, the first rule is already against me." She slapped her forehead. "You're already setting me up to fail, mayor." She pouted.

The mayor cleared his throat. "The second law is that all residents shall attend -" 

"Mayor. Thank you so much for the recap, but Theo had mentioned it all." Serena sighed, lifting her hand in protest. "I don't do well with rules or laws."

Theo looked down awkwardly and scratched his forehead, reaching for his spanner from his toolbox at his feet. His eyes caught the Siamese cat dash towards the steps. He frowned confused. It seemed the feline was chasing something... some sort of a giant-sized white rat. Great! Now there's rats here, too — the size of raccoons. He grimaced but soon refocused on the awkward exchange between Serena and the mayor, standing in front of him.

"Madam!" The mayor cleared his throat.

"Madam?" Serena pursed her lips. "Serena will do."

"It's impolite to call you by your name."