28. Caught Off Guard

CHAPTER 28 

Serena burst through the kitchen doors. It's been two days since shutting Alice's and her aunt's mouths up, but she was still upset. She was glad they got the message to stay out of her way, locking themselves up in their home until the hex wears off.

Good! She didn't want to see their faces the damn hex got wrong in the first place. Alice was the one to get the hives on her skin — a lesson for teasing Tilly, and Ms. Baker's hair was supposed to fall out with her stupid beehive hairstyles she prides herself with!

"I thought I got it right," Serena groaned. Getting nervous she was losing her touch with hexes! She shrugged it off. "Ha!" She never loses her touch, even though she  didn't deal with dark magic often. At least the days of the troublesome two interfering with her business were gone. The debacle at the constable's office only dribbled out as whispers onto the streets.

Customers came and went through Tricky Treat's doors. More men now, too. All was welcome, just the way Serena wanted it. After the last customer, Serena hung the 'be back soon' sign on the front door and found a rare moment away from the counter. She slipped into the kitchen for a much-needed cup of tea and fired up the kettle on the stove.

The toasty kitchen needed air, and she opened the window, allowing the breeze to cascade across her face, refreshing her from a draining day. Jinx, who was already sleeping in the kitchen, awoke and jumped up onto the windowsill.

Cleo sauntered into the kitchen and laid a dead finch bird at Serena's heels. "Here's a little present," her lovely purred.

Serena grimaced, slapping her hand onto her chest in disgust. "Eeew! what am I supposed to do with that?" she pursed her lips. "caterpillar heads would be appropriate, not a dead Finch Bird."

"I'm trying to do normal cat things," Cleo said. "You know, keeping up appearances and all."

Serena shook her head. "Take that dead thing away." She pointed her finger at the door. "Do you want me to get another damn fine? You know the mayor is on my case already."

Her feline rolled her eyes and walked out the door, with the dead, small bird clutched between her teeth.

Serena sipped on her freshly made allspice tea with mint leaves, leaning with her elbows on the wooden table. Her eyes skimmed through ingredients from a potion book.

"Hmmm," Serena hummed. "I'm running out of Alder weed. I need to find more."

"Doesn't Alder weed only grow where it snows?" Cleo asked, who returned to the kitchen Finch-less. The Siamese cat giving her fur her daily bath with her saliva, sitting on a pile of old Finchdale Post newspapers.

Serena sighed. "Yes, it only grows in winter. It's best found under oak tree roots. The weeds liked protection." A memory flashed before her. She thought of her grandmother and how she looked for the weeds in the snowy forest with her.

"I suppose I have to wait for next winter," Serena smiled fondly at the memory that she didn't hear Tilly walk into the shop.

Tilly searched for Serena on the shop's floor. She saw the sign outside but came to talk to her. There were rumors in the street about how weird the Baker's acted at the constable's office, yet nobody knew the full story. It looked like Alice and her aunt looked spooked. Mumbling something about Serena. Maybe Serena could fill her in since she was apparently at the office, too.

Tilly had called Serena's name, but there was no answer. She heard Serena's smooth voice coming from the kitchen and she moved to the door quietly. Tilly reached her hand out and cracked open the door further into the kitchen she always was curious to see. Instantly, the fragrant smell of mint hit her nose. Serena's kitchen was rustic and warm. Her eyes admired the copper pots and kettle that whistled with boiling water. A bubbling black pot settled over the roasting fire and three thick melted candle wicks rested on the large wooden table that brimmed with old books stacked up on each other, and jars and bowls of spices and herbs.

She spotted Serena, leaning over the table and her finger touching the pages as she read an old book. Tilly moved further in and opened her mouth to speak, but her cat jumped up on the stool.

"You could always give the troublesome two a forgetful charm if you don't trust them." Cleo said. "What happened with the mayor last night was too of a close call, Serena."

"No, I doubt they'll be trouble in the future. They know what I'm capable of... magic!" Serena boasted, flicking her five fingers in the air and a single flame appeared on each fingertip. "It felt great to put them in their place. Perks in being a witch."

"You're a witch!!!"

Tilly's mouth dropped, and she pointed her finger at Serena.

Serena spat the tea out of her mouth and spun around, shocked. Cleo jumped up from the stool in fright with a screech.

"A-a-and your-your cat talks, too!" Tilly yelled and pointed at a stunned Cleo who skittled behind Serena.

Serena pulled her lips in regret. "Oopsie, you weren't supposed to see that." She pouted.

Tilly screamed and ran to the door, but Serena shut it a few inches before Tilly could reach it with a flick of her hand. "Silly Tilly!" Serena huffed. "Always sneaking up on me." She placed her hands on her hips, her pendant turning a shade of violet.

Tilly slammed her back against the door. Her eyes darting around frantically for an escape.

The window, yes! It's open.

She can dive through. Serena read her thoughts and glanced at the open window.

"Tilly, I won't hurt you." Serena said in a calm voice. "I don't hurt people."

"You hurt Alice and Ms. Baker! I've seen Ms. Baker's hair and Alice wears a scarf! She never wears a scarf in the daytime!" Tilly yelled and lurched at the window. Serena instantly waved her hand, and it closed in front of Tilly. Tilly, out of frantic need, grabbed a rolling pin from the table and pointed it at Serena like an AK-47 firearm, gripping it with both trembling hands.

"I didn't hurt the Bakers. They didn't feel any pain." She huffed. "I just taught them a lesson that kindness is skin deep."

Tilly blinked wildly. "You're a witch!" she screeched. "A real live one." Her eyes scanned for any escape once more. But Serena locked her shut in the kitchen.

"Caught again in the act in three damn days." Serena rubbed the bridge of her nose and glanced at Cleo, who looked at her mistress and nodded.

She sighed and raised her hands up in surrender and looked at a frightened Tilly. "Tilly, please — you're my friend." She pleaded. "Let me explain."