9. My Lovelies

CHAPTER 9 

2 days later,

The mayor leaned back in his faux-leather chair at the desk. His elbows rested on the gracefully carved arm rest. He sipped on his sugarless Earl Grey tea and looked over the plans for the new mining project for the last thirty minutes. He stood up from his chair and walked to the window and overlooked the quiet town.

His eyes examined the men at work as they hammered and pounded — reconstructing The Hammer that broke in half weeks ago. The sturdy statue was a symbol of Finchdale and it must be restored for a reminder to all who fall under its judgement.

He drank the rest of his tea down. A polite knock on the door turned his attention.

"Come in." He instructed.

The door swung open and in walked Ms. Baker. Today was Wednesday, and she did secretarial duties for him. Her left hand held a booklet of printed pages, and her other hand clutched her chest.

"Mayor... Your thesis on the origins of Finchdale's iron mining since 1812 is superb." She beamed with admiration. "You know such depth the rich history of this fine town."

The mayor smiled proudly. "My dear Ms. Baker — Someone needs to know Finchdale and its people through and through."

"I just know they will publish this into a textbook in no time." She beamed.

"Oh, Ms. Baker." The mayor chuckled happily. "You're too kind."

Ms. Baker walked past swiftly and placed the stack of typed papers on the desk. Her eyes trailed up the edge of the desk at the black-and-white photograph of a portrait of a woman.

Her gaze lingered on the mayor. "How is Mrs. Pearson, mayor?" Ms. Baker asked politely. "Is she well?"

The mayor snapped his blue eyes to her and blinked with a tight smile. "Yes-Yes, she's fine. Still working abroad." He laughed nervously. "I'm afraid she'll be there for a while longer. She extended her business trip in France."

"I hope her travels won't keep her too long from us. She shouldn't leave her husband so alone like this." Ms. Baker laughed lightly. The mayor weakly smiled and looked to the street from his window.

Ms. Baker looked along with him... Five doors down and she frowned, irritated.

"My dear Ms. Baker, what's wrong? Something upset you?" The mayor asked.

Ms. Baker shook her head and gave a taut smile. "Should we be worried about the new shop opposite my pastry shop?"

The mayor tilted his head and raised his brows. "If you're thinking about the new Madam's sweet shop. No, not to worry at all." He chuckled. "The town won't entertain such nonsense."

Ms. Baker nodded her head in delight.

"You can see for yourself. Her shop, with the silly name Tricky Treats, seems very empty." He chimed.

"Very empty indeed." Ms. Baker echoed.

"Business might not be picking up like she'd expected." He said pleasantly.

"But that's all we need, mayor." She said. "Our children choking on sweets."

"Exactly, Ms. Baker. It's so refreshing to have a same minded person." He said and Ms. Baker smiled. "And besides, your Danish pastries stands no competition."

She blushed and touched her redden cheeks. "Oh, mayor. Thank you." She giggled.

Yes. The mayor thought. Madam Serena will not be a problem.