thirty three.

Jimin shivered against the stray wind, tugging his jacket tighter around him as he strode through the icy streets. A small group of his second-best soldiers, the only ones he could manage to scrounge up, trailed in his wake. 

Today he was on his way to get things back in line. It seemed like every day was just a constant disintegration, starting from the moment that building exploded with Jungkook inside. There were times when Jimin hated him. Hated him for trusting Yoongi, for leaving Taehyung, for choosing him to be his right hand.

Jimin wasn't even half of the leader Jungkook was and he was tired of pretending to be. All he wanted was to curl up into a ball on the floor and cry over his best friend, but instead, he was forced to pick himself up every morning and carry on like nothing was wrong. Was he not allowed even that much anymore?

"She's been informed to expect us, boss," the soldier on Jimin's right said, a hand resting on the handle of his gun.

Jimin stared straight ahead, gathering up the last remnants of whatever resolve he possessed. "Thank you, Jeno."

Ignoring the way his hands shook with every step that brought him closer, Jimin threw his shoulders back and held his head high as he stepped into the all-too-familiar building on that dilapidated street, only calmed by the fact that he had three of his most-trusted members behind him.

The moment he stepped inside, it was like he was transported back five years and nothing had changed. Those muted lights that shifted across a spectrum of colors, that hazy perfume that lingered in the air, all to create an aura of allure. He almost expected to look down and find himself dressed in those skimpy silk clothes he hated so much.

Beside him, Jeno gave him a wary glance. "Boss?"

Even as he felt like his throat was closing up, Jimin forced himself to nod.

And then a familiar voice spoke, sending a whole new shudder down his spine. "Park Jimin. Well, isn't this a surprise."

Jimin's heart raced, but he managed a reply. "Iseul. Long time no see."

Two of the soldiers exchanged a glance, but Jeno was immediately there, elbowing them in the sides. Jimin made a mental note to thank the other boy later.

A smirk danced on Iseul's face. "To what do I owe this pleasure?"

She was exactly the same as she was five years ago. Ruby red lipstick, her long graying hair in a skillful braid that flowed down her back. Her aging face still held beauty, even though it was now hidden beneath a thin layer of cunning malice.

Jimin swallowed thickly. "I trust you understand the situation with the Kingmakers?"

Iseul smiled again. "Of course."

"I've come to place extra soldiers around the businesses under our protection that lie on the edges of our territory."

"I'm flattered you think of us as a business," Iseul drawled. "You used to think so very differently."

A soldier behind Jimin coughed and the boss could feel heat rising to his face.

"If you wish to discuss stationing your men here, I'll ask you to speak to me in private. The safety of our workers is our number one priority."

A sudden spark of anger ignited in Jimin, but he suppressed it quickly, remaining calm as he turned to Jeno. "You three wait outside. I'll be out shortly after discussing matters here."

The other boy looked a little unsure, but nodded, dragging his two companions out with him.

Iseul cast Jimin a quick smile the second the door closed behind them, motioning for him to follow her into a back room. Jimin tamped down the sudden urge to run as he entered a room covered in rugs, beanbags and various cushions sprawled across the floors as strands of colored beads dangled down to cover the door and the walls.