forty eight.

A nudge at Jungkook's elbow pulled him from shifting through the papers Hoseok had deposited in his hands. He had healed enough that limping to the desk in the corner of his room was no longer a feat of monumental strength, but he had not yet returned to full operating status.

Taehyung's hand lingered by his shoulder. Jungkook smiled at the sight of him, but immediately switched to frown when he noticed the unease in the other's expression. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Jimin is asking to see you. He says he has a message that must be delivered in person." Taehyung's tone revealed nothing.

Jungkook sat back in his chair, trying to ignore how his head spun at the possibilities of what could've made Jimin suddenly decide to see him. "He's always welcome to see me. He doesn't need permission."

Taehyung nodded and wordlessly shuffled to the door, where Hoseok waited in the hallway. A part of Jungkook's heart twisted at the fact that Jimin still felt like he needed to go through Hoseok, even after Jungkook promised that nothing would happen to him. Did he really think that was all it took for Jungkook to dispose of him? Did he think that five years of friendship were completely washed away because of some clandestine affair?

Hoseok murmured something back and disappeared for a moment.

Jimin returned in his stead.

It was the first time Jungkook had seen Jimin since the day he'd returned. He looked like he'd seen better days, dark rings under his eyes to show how much sleep he'd been getting. He kept his eyes trained on the floor, much like he had the first time they'd met all those years ago.

"Jimin, you're allowed to look at me, you know," Jungkook said softly.

Taehyung tilted his head from where he stood against the doorway, pointedly avoiding Jimin's direction.

Jimin bit down on his lip, but didn't lift his head. "I don't think I can look at you and say what I'm about to," he murmured, voice tinged with shame.

A quiet scoff escaped Taehyung's lips.

Jungkook cut a glance at him. "Taehyung, could you leave us?"

The older's sightless eyes widened. Taehyung looked like he wanted to protest but sensed it was pointless. He stalked through the door and let it shut with a thud.

Jungkook turned back to Jimin, softening when he saw the hurt Jimin was trying to hide. "He'll come around," he assured. "He just needs time."

"Stop being so understanding," Jimin said sharply, looking at him now. His gaze was tortured, tears balancing in his eyes. "Don't act like I haven't betrayed everyone here. I'm here to stoop even lower, and you're still so fucking empathetic, and I hate it! Don't you see, I want you to hate me like I hate myself. I did something unforgivable, and you'd still welcome me back with open arms, and I hate it."

He started crying near the end, and Jungkook immediately got to his feet to console him, but Jimin held out his hands and took a step back, shaking his head miserably.

Tears staining his cheeks, Jimin sank to his knees in front of his oldest friend and pressed his hands to the floor. "I'm so sorry for what I'm about to do," he whispered, trembling, "but I don't have much of a choice." He squeezed his eyes shut, taking a quivering breath. "The Kingmakers are targeting the Cobras. They're still hurting from surrendering a third of their territory. If the Kingmakers attacked with full force, there's no way the Cobras would stand a chance."

Jungkook sucked in a breath. "You want the Purgatory to back them?"

Jimin's hands clenched into fists. He was still crying. Jungkook could tell from the shake of his shoulders. "Yes. Yoongi asked me to vouch for them. To you."