forty seven.

Five Years Ago.

Jungkook shivered as he walked down the desolate streets. The cold was creeping in much faster than he'd anticipated and he shoved his hands into the pockets of his jacket to hide their trembling. He couldn't be seen with any weaknesses, not right now.

He was the new boss, after all. Not too long ago, a mission hadn't gone as expected and the General had run into some trouble, leaving Jungkook in charge. He'd only been right hand a couple of months before the switch and saying he had no idea what he was doing was an underestimate. But he hadn't been paralyzed by reality for long. He'd shifted his focus to meeting with all the Purgatory's clients and partners and introducing himself and reinstating whatever agreement they'd previously held with the General. Sometimes, however, that was not the case, and he drafted new deals. Sometimes they accepted, sometimes they didn't. But that was what the soldiers with him were for.

Jungkook's footsteps slowed as he reached today's task - a brothel on the edge of their territory. A curt nod toward the door had one of his soldiers stepping forward first.

Smoke filled the room. It bore a scent, like essence, but Jungkook knew it had to be more enticing than that. There was no way they'd let anyone go once they'd stepped foot inside. There was a club on the other side, he knew, that they opened at night, seeking to lure more unsuspecting travelers. Today, Jungkook was dealing with the operation itself.

A woman appeared from another room, emerging with a perfectly dazzling smile on her face. She was older, her long hair in a neatly woven braid down her back. Jungkook swallowed at the sight of the haunting ruby red paint on her mouth. He forced the memories to the back of his head. He couldn't afford to spiral now.

Clearing his throat, he shifted to the front. "I hope you'll excuse the intrusion," he began smoothly, "but we are here on business terms. I am the Vice, the Purgatory's new boss."

The woman arched a thin eyebrow. "New boss? What happened to the General?"

"Mission gone wrong. I am his former right hand."

"Iseul," the woman said after a few beats. "I run this place." She gave him an expert once over, clicking her tongue appreciatively. "Do I get to know your name too, handsome?"

Jungkook coughed awkwardly, ignoring the faint chuckles from his soldiers. "Vice is fine. I'm here to discuss your previous arrangement with the General. It shouldn't take too long."

Her red lips shifted into a pout. "A shame. I could've used the company. We can talk here." A wink was tossed at him, and it was all he could do to force a relatively small smile and follow her into the next room over, his soldiers silently waiting at the room's door. When he saw that ruby lipstick, there was only one face that ever came to mind for him.

Jungkook was blinking back into focus when Iseul gestured for him to sit down on one of the sprawling cushions and couches. He found the closest one respectably far from her. He'd had bad experiences before; he wasn't about to let them happen again. He was a boss now, he wielded enough power to protect himself.

Iseul glanced at him as she slung one of her legs over the other. This look was different from the last one. This time, she was assessing him as a leader. "I'll have some tea brought in," she offered after a few minutes, calling over a boy who had slipped inside the room alongside them. Jungkook hadn't even noticed him until now. "Jimin, fetch us some tea, why don't you?"

The boy bowed in confirmation, head hung low. Jungkook couldn't get a glimpse of his face as he hurriedly scurried away.

Iseul's attention slid back over to him. "My arrangement with the General goes back several years. I hope you're not here to try and change it all." Her voice held a cheery tone, but the expression on her face was threatening.