forty five.

Taehyung was pretending to be asleep when he heard the change in Jungkook's breathing.

He'd been lazing around these past few days, remaining with Jungkook at all hours. He couldn't stand the thought of not feeling his warmth beside him, not when he had been forced to accept its absence. And, surprisingly, Jungkook had not tried to kick him out yet.

Taehyung sat quietly when Hoseok came in with news from Jimin, listening to Jungkook's replies. He lay beside Jungkook when he slept, even if Taehyung wasn't tired. When Jungkook woke up from nightmares, Taehyung was there to hold him and tell him everything was alright, and Jungkook did the same for him. Taehyung fidgeted with his hands uselessly when the medic redressed Jungkook's wounds and examined them to ensure they were healing properly. He never asked what they looked like, not after the first night when Jimin had avoided answering him.

Now, Taehyung hurried to the desk where he'd heard a soldier drop off their meals an hour or so earlier and returned to Jungkook's bed with the tray. "You need to eat."

Jungkook reached out a hand to stroke Taehyung's hair. "So do you."

"Jungkook, just let me do this," Taehyung begged. "Let me be useful."

There was a frown in Jungkook's reply. "Taehyung..."

Taehyung wasn't sure what the next words out of his mouth were going to be, but a knock on the door determined that he would never know.

Hoseok's voice filled the newfound silence and Taehyung just knew he was poking his head through the door the way he always did before fully entering. "Knock, knock. I'm just here for the morning updates. Jimin said he talked to the patrols this morning."

Taehyung frowned, leaning over to set the tray down since Jungkook didn't want it. "I thought he was going to do that last night."

Jungkook set a hand on Taehyung's knee in a warning. When he spoke, he addressed Hoseok. "Excellent. Tell Jimin that's all I have for the moment. He's free to make any decisions he feels necessary until his updates later tonight. Thank you, Hoseok, that'll be all."

Hoseok hesitated for a moment, hovering in the doorway. "Do you want me to send the medic in early?"

Taehyung's head whipped in Jungkook's direction quickly. He felt guilty for not noticing any pain the boss may be in, but he knew that it wasn't his fault. He didn't have the ability to read his expressions and body language the way the others could.

Jungkook gave Hoseok a sharp look. "That'll be all, Hoseok," he repeated, more sternly this time.

The second the door closed Taehyung was back to being the overbearing Taehyung Jungkook was becoming accustomed to. "You didn't say you were in pain! Where does it hurt? Do you want me to tell Hoseok to get the medic before he's gone? I'm sure there are extra bandages in here too, I can-"

"Taehyung."

Taehyung stopped.

Jungkook sighed. "I'm fine, really." He forced a smile even though he knew he didn't have to put on a show for Taehyung, reaching out for his hand.

Taehyung couldn't help the faint blush that spread over his cheeks at the casual touch, so unused to it after all this time. He just hoped Jungkook didn't notice it.

"I appreciate your help, but you don't need to do this to prove you're useful. You've already shown me that."

"How?" Taehyung whispered.

Taehyung was sure he was imagining the sudden softness in Jungkook's voice. "You're already the most valuable thing to me, Taehyung. I don't know what I'd do without you."