thirty nine.

Six years ago.

"Okay, tell me if this is too much."

Jungkook and Mark were standing in an empty corner of the training room, here to fulfill Jungkook's end of the bargain. Mark had been covering for him for the past two weeks, distracting Yoongi so Jungkook could slip out of his room and stretch his legs. Now that Jungkook had been officially cleared from bed rest, he was here to make good on his promise.

Mark shuffled uncomfortably in front of Jungkook, trying his best to work up the courage.

Jungkook chuckled. "Just pretend I'm him, okay? I promise I won't laugh." He clapped his hands in a good-natured show of support. "Hit me with your best shot, lover boy, I'm waiting."

Mark gave him a wry smile before returning to his focused look. "Um, hi, Yuta. You're looking nice today."

Jungkook arched an eyebrow. "'Nice'? Is that the best you can do?"

"You look handsome today."

"I like it, more confident. Keep going."

Mark hesitated again, biting his lip nervously. "Uh, I was wondering if you'd like to-" He suddenly threw his hands up into the air, shaking his head vigorously. "Forget it, Jungkook, I can't do this. He's gonna laugh at me the second I open my mouth and I'll have to live with the embarrassment forever-"

Jungkook shushed his panicked rambling immediately, wrapping Mark up in a tight hug. "Hey, hey, it's okay. We're gonna keep practicing until you feel like you're ready and then you're going to knock him dead. And if he says no, he says no. That won't make you any less of an amazing person."

"I guess," Mark sniffled, pressing his nose into the younger boy's shoulder. "Thanks, Jungkook."

"Now you're going to do it again, but with more confidence this time, okay?" Jungkook pulled back, giving Mark a gentle touch on the shoulder that he hoped was comforting. "Go for it."

Mark nodded, turning serious once more. He stepped forward a little, lifting his gaze up to Jungkook so that he was looking up at him through his eyelashes. He inched closer, stopping when he was less than an arm's length away from him. "Hey," he breathed.

"Hey," Jungkook murmured, suddenly a little uncomfortable with the abrupt shift, but not wanting to break Mark's focus.

Mark leaned in even closer, close enough for Jungkook to smell his soap. His eyes strayed from Jungkook's even as his hand came up to hover over his bicep. "I was wondering if you were free later?"

Jungkook didn't move a muscle. "Yeah," he heard himself mumble.

Suddenly, Mark hesitated, not sure what else to do but knowing he couldn't stop now.

"Pretend to go for a kiss," Jungkook hissed, wanting to give his friend as much practice as he could. He'd appreciated Mark's help over the past few weeks. He'd desperately needed that alone time, and he was grateful to Mark for keeping Yoongi distracted.

Mark's movements were awkward but he followed Jungkook's suggestion, slipping his arm up to rest on Jungkook's shoulder, pretending to lean up like he meant to connect their lips. Instead, he stopped when their foreheads touched, looking at Jungkook with uncertainty. "Was that good?" he whispered.

But unbeknownst to them, there was a figure watching them from the doorway of the room, arms crossed and teeth gritting tightly against each other as he watched the two boys bent close to each other. He turned away quickly, stalking down the corridor, leaving before he saw the act for what it was.