eight.

Jungkook whirled on Taehyung the second they entered the den, his fiery rage blazing through the cool exterior he'd assumed in front of the Cobras until it was reduced to ashes.

"Do you have any idea what you've just done?" he demanded, grabbing the front of Taehyung's shirt in his hand and backing him into the nearest wall. The air in Taehyung's lungs left him in a shocked breath.

Jimin didn't think he'd ever seen Jungkook so angry, especially not directed at Tae.

"Jungkook, he didn't mean-" Hoseok started worriedly, reaching a hand toward the younger boys like he was going to stop them.

Jungkook silenced him with a single look, tightening his grip on Taehyung. The elder boy flinched but he refused to cower.

"You were going to lose the biggest score you've ever received because of your goddamn pride," Taehyung snapped, finally finding his voice. His mouth twisted into a scowl. "How long are you going to let this stupid rivalry dictate everything in your life? He didn't even do anything to you!"

At that, Jungkook let out a bitter laugh, shoving away from Taehyung. He shook his head. "You have no idea what you're talking about. Just like you had no idea what you were doing when you accepted that deal."

He turned toward Hoseok, thrusting an arm toward him. "Give me the thumb drive. I'm going to show Geun just what I think of his offer."

Hoseok's hand reluctantly crept toward his pocket but Taehyung stopped him with a hand, staring at Jungkook with incredulity. "Are you really going to throw away your share of thirty billion won for this petty competition?" he asked.

Jungkook's nostrils flared but Taehyung pressed on.

"If he's taken so much from you, why let him take anything else? Show him you don't care enough to even think of him as a threat. Show him that he has no hold of you anymore. Don't feed into this."

For a second, Jimin actually thought Jungkook was going to punch the older boy.

Finally, he said in a voice like velvet over steel, "Give him the drive, then."

His impassive midnight gaze focused on Hoseok before drifting back to Taehyung, his anger growing with every second. It was a bomb ticking, inching slowly toward the end of the countdown. "If he wants to be in charge, let him be in charge."

Taehyung wanted to open his mouth and force him to see the reason behind his actions, but something held him back. He knew this wasn't a regular situation where one soft word would excuse him from all punishments. No, this time Jungkook was furious. And there was nothing he could do to calm him down.

Without another word, Jungkook swept out of the room, his footsteps like gunshots in the silence.

Taehyung swallowed hard as he heard the rattle of a door being slammed. He snapped out of his reverie when he felt Hoseok press the slim device into his palm, curving his fingers around it protectively.

"I hope you know what you're doing," Hobi said quietly.

"Me too," Taehyung murmured. He clenched his fist so that the sharp edges dug into his skin, enjoying the small burst of pain exploding across his palm. This is what he betrayed Jungkook's confidence for. He couldn't let it be for nothing.

"What the hell are you doing?" Jimin hissed as he grabbed Taehyung's arm, yanking him back around to face him.

The younger boy gently shook free of his grasp. "I'm proving my worth."

Turning his back on the concern etched across Jimin's face, concern he couldn't see even if he wanted to, Taehyung headed for the corridor he heard Jungkook disappear down, tracing his mental map as he followed the path back to his room. The thumb drive in his hand beat a second heartbeat against his skin, mirroring his fears. Every passing beat echoed as words, haunting him even as he retreated into the solitude of his mind.