thirty five.

Six years ago.

It had been three days since Jungkook had been cleared to leave the infirmary.

The wound in his side still hurt like hell, flaring up every time he moved, but he had recovered enough to stand on his own. This didn't stop Yoongi from offering to help him, however. The elder still hovered over his shoulder, always within an arm's reach any time the younger made an attempt to walk like he was waiting for him to topple over any minute. It didn't matter how many times Jungkook assured him he was perfectly capable of walking on his own. Yoongi had resolved to stay by his side.

It had also been three days since Ten had left.

The uproar had been enough to cut through the fog in Jungkook's head. The sound of Ten yelling, the General's low but calm voice... And when it was all over, the grumble of soldiers as they watched their right hand walk away from it all.

Jungkook cast a sideways glance toward Yoongi, who was asleep in the chair he'd set up by Jungkook's bed.

He would never come clean to the older boy, but Jungkook had heard what Ten had said about him. It had echoed down the hallways, replaying in his head on a constant loop, following him into his dreams.

I'll kill him. He deserves to die.

Shaking off the shiver that crept up his spine, Jungkook sat up slowly, watching Yoongi for any signs of consciousness as he carefully began to swing his legs over onto the floor. Standing was an effort that made him sick to his stomach, black spots flashing in front of him, but Jungkook forced himself to push past it.

He forced himself to stumble toward the door, down the hallway.

He didn't have much of a plan other than the fact that he needed to get out. Get a breath of fresh air, have five seconds where Yoongi wasn't attached to his hip - anything was better than staying there.

Jungkook barely made it five steps down the hallway before he had to lean against the wall for support, breathing heavily as he pressed his forehead against the cool concrete, trying to steady himself. He didn't know how long he stood there before a familiar voice jolted him back to the present.

"Jungkook? What are you doing up? Where's Yoongi-?"

Mark barely got through the last question before Jungkook was holding a hand to his lips. "Please don't tell him," Jungkook begged. "I... I can't stay there."

Mark hesitated, but there must've been something on Jungkook's face that made him change his mind because he said at last, "Fine. I won't tell Yoongi."

"Thank you so much-"

"But you owe me," the brown-haired boy finished, arching an eyebrow.

Jungkook jumped at the chance eagerly. Anything for a moment longer of freedom. "Anything. You name it."

Mark thought for a moment before he began to blush fiercely, dropping his gaze to the floor as he shuffled his feet awkwardly. "Actually, there is this one thing... But it's kinda-" He shook his head quickly, dark red now as he tripped over his words. "Actually, never mind, it's really stupid-"

Jungkook stood straighter, laying a hand on Mark's arm. "Nothing you care about is stupid. Just tell me how I can help."

Mark bit his lip as he continued to stare at the floor. "There's... this guy."

A smirk began to appear on Jungkook's face. "Ooh, someone's got a crush?"

"Shut up!" Mark cried, but he was blushing again, swatting at Jungkook's shoulder wildly. "Keep your voice down."

Jungkook nodded, indulging his friend with a smile. "Okay. So tell me more about this guy."

"Well... I do. Like him, that is," Mark muttered, desperately trying to let his hair cover his flushed face. "But the problem is... I don't know how to talk to him. Or, at least, get him to notice me."

"Aww, that's adorable." Jungkook nudged Mark's shoulder gently, trying to get the other boy to look up to see the smile on his face. "Of course I'll help you. Although I don't really have much experience with flirting... I'm sure we can figure it out. How hard can it be?"

Mark picked his head up, brightening. "Really? You'll help?" He launched himself at Jungkook in a hug, beaming as he clutched him tightly. "Oh my god, Jungkook, you are the best!"

"Yeah, I know, I'm excited too. But could you maybe not hug me so tightly? It still hurts a little."

Mark let go immediately. "Oh my god, I'm so sorry, of course. I almost forgot."

Jungkook winced as he brought a hand up to his bandages. "I didn't." Pushing the lingering pain to the back of his mind, Jungkook straightened up once more. "So, who is this guy we're trying to impress? If I'm allowed to know?"

Mark flushed again. "Yuta."

Jungkook didn't know how to express the emotions that exploded in his chest. Shock, because that was the last name he'd expected to come out of Mark's mouth except for Ten himself. Confusion, since the name he'd been anticipating, the one he'd been bracing for, wasn't Yuta's at all.

He'd known that Yoongi had a crush on Mark ever since they'd first joined the Purgatory. It wasn't exactly hard to decipher, with all the pining looks Yoongi tossed in Mark's direction and the way he was the only person other than Jungkook whose presence he actually enjoyed. And so guilt seeped into Jungkook, knowing that his best friend's heart would break if he were here.

But underneath it all, there was a sense of relief.

Deep down, Jungkook was glad that Mark didn't like Yoongi back. If he did, then surely they would get together and Jungkook would be the automatic third wheel, forced to exist awkwardly between them. If he did, Yoongi wouldn't pay Jungkook as much attention as he did now. Jungkook needed Yoongi too much to share him with anyone else.

Jungkook swallowed the lump in his throat. "Wow... I didn't expect that."

Mark's gaze turned panicked. "Why? Am I not his type? Do you think he won't like me back?"

"No, no, not at all." Jungkook forced himself to smile, pushing his conflicting feelings aside to support his friend. "If he doesn't like you, he's an idiot."

A genuine smile appeared across the other boy's face, and Jungkook was finding it hard to feel regret for going against his loyalty to his best friend when it seemed to make Mark so happy. "Thanks, Kookie. I mean it."

Jungkook hoped he couldn't hear the catch in his voice. "Anytime."

• • •

happy holidays!! <333