forty two.

When Jungkook woke up with Taehyung in his arms, he wasn't convinced he wasn't still dreaming. But here he was, in his bed in the den, Taehyung fast asleep with his face still buried in Jungkook's neck. God, what Jungkook would've done all these weeks to be waking up to Taehyung, safe and sound in his arms.

He didn't remember much about their journey from the Anarchists' den. He knew Hoseok had practically carried him there because his vision was spotted enough to tell him he definitely blacked out at least once. All he remembered was seeing Jimin and Taehyung before finally collapsing. He remembered Taehyung sitting beside his bed, tear stains on his face.

Jungkook grimaced at the ache in his leg, the dull burn from the scars. He guessed it should've been expected. Traveling before he'd gotten used to walking again, all medicine passed through his system, was certainly not good for his healing injuries. But he couldn't bear another second away from his friends. Even if it meant they probably wouldn't let him leave his bed for the next few days. He didn't mind it as long as he could see their faces again, especially that of the boy still sleeping in his arms.

Jungkook brushed a hand over the back of Taehyung's head, smoothing down his hair gently. Taehyung only stirred slightly, nuzzling his face further into Jungkook's neck. Jungkook couldn't see the blind boy's face, but he was sure it looked just as peaceful and angelic in sleep.

He jumped when the door suddenly swung open, unconsciously tightening his grip around Taehyung.

Jimin quickly closed his mouth as he saw the two of them. "Oh, I was just here to ask you... but if you're still sleeping..."

Taehyung let out a soft groan, not picking up his head. "Not anymore."

Jungkook sighed. "No, it's fine. You're here now. Go ahead."

Jimin shuffled on his feet a little. "They're asking what we should do about the Kingmakers. I, uh, don't know how much they told you before but... there was a minor... issue."

Now Taehyung sat up fully, a frown that seemed much too pained for someone who just woke up. He crossed his arms over his chest. "You should tell him the whole story."

Jungkook was taken aback by the sudden intensity in his tone, sitting up with him. "Tell me what?" he asked.

Taehyung was almost scowling now, and Jimin was averting Jungkook's gaze desperately. "Well," Jimin started slowly, "I might have been kidnapped by the Kingmakers in a ploy to get Yoongi to surrender some of his territories."

Jungkook's brows furrowed in confusion. "What? I don't-"

"Because he's been sleeping with Yoongi," Taehyung finished bluntly.

Jimin tossed him a sharp look. He should've known better than to think Taehyung wouldn't snitch to Jungkook the second he opened his mouth.

Jungkook looked at him quickly. "What?" It was quiet, and Jimin almost hated that more.

Ducking his head, Jimin shuffled awkwardly. "I'm sorry," he mumbled. "It won't happen again."

For a moment longer, Jungkook didn't know what else to say. He was furious, sad, disappointed, irritated, and remorseful all at the same time and he didn't know which of them was the right emotion. Jimin, his longest friend, the boy he'd saved all those years ago, the person he could always count on... had slept with his worst enemy? His ex-best friend? The guy who tried to murder him just as he was beginning to think he could trust him again?

He didn't know what expression was on his face but Jimin was suddenly kneeling on the floor in front of him, tears streaming down his face. "Please, Jungkook, I promise it won't ever happen again, just say you forgive me. I'm sorry. God, I'm so sorry. Sorry for Yoongi, sorry for leaving you there, for being a horrible leader and an even shittier friend..." He hung his head. "I know I've failed you."

"Jimin..." Jungkook said. "Please get up."

Slowly, uncertain, Jimin got to his feet. He couldn't bring himself to meet Jungkook's eyes, dreading the words he'd been bracing himself to hear.

"We'll discuss this at another time. For now, return to your normal duties. You will continue as my right hand."

That was not it.

Jimin looked up in surprise. "But-"

Jungkook met his gaze but Jimin couldn't find any hints of what he was thinking. "Just go, Jimin. You can tell them I'm awake if they have urgent matters for me."

Hesitating only once more, Jimin hurried to the door with a quick nod before he could be scolded, closing it soundlessly.

Taehyung was frowning again when Jungkook looked back at him. "You're really not mad?" he asked.

Jungkook sighed, running a hand through his hair as he laid back down and stared up at the ceiling. "I don't know what I am. Confused, maybe? But mostly... empty, I guess."

Taehyung's frown shifted into a pout as he curled back up against Jungkook's side, fiddling with the hem of Jungkook's shirt anxiously. "You know... you never told me whatever happened with you and Yoongi."

Jungkook made a face, knowing Taehyung couldn't see it. "It's... complicated."

"You used to be friends, didn't you?"

Jungkook was quiet for a second. "Did you guess or did he tell you?"

Taehyung ducked his head just to make sure Jungkook couldn't see it. "Maybe both?" Jungkook stayed silent, so Taehyung took it as his opening to finally get some answers to the questions that had been weighing on his mind. "So you were friends."

Jungkook made a face, knowing Taehyung wouldn't see it. He didn't know what made him tell the truth. "Yes," he said softly. "We were. Best friends, in fact."

Taehyung picked up his head quickly, swiveling toward Jungkook's voice. He hadn't expected such a blatant admittance, let alone that truth. "What? When? Why? How... how do you go from being best friends to...?"

"It's..." Jungkook sighed, stretching out a hand to hook one of his fingers in Taehyung's. He swung them a little bit between them for a distraction. His voice was barely above a murmur, but he found the words tumbling from his mouth even when he knew he'd already said too much. "It was a long time ago."

"How long?" Taehyung whispered.

"I was fifteen. I...needed a distraction from my life. We met by accident and just..." Jungkook found himself getting choked up, memories rushing back like water bursting from behind a dam and it hurt. His best friend, the person he trusted most, looked up to, was the person who now hated him the most. He couldn't stop seeing the night of the explosion and imagining Yoongi's face swirling in the fire, a sadistic grin growing on his face with every flame that lapped at Jungkook's skin. He couldn't stop replaying what happened the night everything fell to shit all those years ago, his entire body aching, and kicking himself for not realizing it was happening all over again.

Taehyung immediately threw his arms around Jungkook, holding him tightly. "It's okay, I got you. Just let it out." He stroked Jungkook's hair gently while Jungkook clutched him back and let the first sob fall from his lips. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to. Whenever you're ready, I'm here to listen."

They sat that way for a while, Taehyung rocking Jungkook in his arms until his cries began to cease, and he fell asleep on Taehyung's shoulder. Taehyung could hear his breath even out, feel his grip on his clothes loosening, so he shifted to lay down on his side so Jungkook could be supported by the mattress, propping his head up on Taehyung's chest. He lightly brushed his fingertips over the sleeping boss's face, trying to recommit the features to memory.

Heart in his throat, Taehyung leaned in to ghost his lips over Jungkook's forehead, as close to a kiss as he dared.

He began to drift off, warm with the weight in his arms.