chapter nineteen

September 22, 2016

She was not going to be fine.

Y/N was convinced of it.

She grabbed her bag with a huff and rolled it towards the house, meeting Camila by the door.

The smaller woman led her inside, where Y/N was surrounded by the smell of whatever was cooking. Her mouth instantly watered. She wasn't used to home cooked meals. She hadn't had one since...

God, she can't even remember.

"...Y/N?"

"Huh, what?" Y/N looked over at Camila.

"I was just introducing you to my dad." She cut her eyes over to the tall man in front of them.

"Oh, right," Y/N smiled, holding her hand out to Alejandro. "It's good to meet you."

"You too." His voice boomed.

The two looked at each other, neither saying a word. Y/N wanted to look away but she felt like she couldn't. Like this was some sort of test.

"So, papí," Camila started, pulling Alejandro's gaze from Y/N's.

Y/N let out the breath she was holding.

"Are you making carnitas?"

"Sí," his face broke into a smile. "Tu favorita."

Camila hugged him again and thanked him before turning her mother. "Where's Sofi?"

Y/N felt awkward. There was no other word for it. She watched as Camila conversed with her family, asking about dinner and where her sister was—she was at a friend's house but should be home soon—and realized she was just standing there, completely out of her element. She didn't know these people, aside from Camila of course.

Thankfully, Camila seemed to realize and announced they were going to bring their bags upstairs.

Y/N followed her, looking around at the pictures as they went. She couldn't help but smile at how cute little Camila was. Looking at the pictures, she was able to place her into the stories from her youth. Her heart warmed.

"And here it is," Camila opened the door to her room and led Y/N inside. "Hasn't really changed since I was fifteen."

Y/N looked around at the pale yellow walls, the white bed spread on the full mattress against the back wall, the cluttered desk under the window on the right side of the room, and the dresser on the left. Her eyes scanned the posters—One Direction, Justin Bieber, Taylor Swift, The 1975.

"I like it." She said. "It's very you."

"It's very childish."

"Eh, I think it's cute."

Y/N plopped down on the bed, looking at the wall across from her. She hadn't seen it before since it was next to the door. But now...

"Is that..."

Camila followed Y/N's gaze.

"Oh my God...I forgot about that." She blushed.

There, on the wall across from the bed, was a poster.

A poster of Y/N.

Y/N smirked. "Is that from the Love Me Harder video?"

"Uh...yeah." Camila sat beside Y/N on her bed. "Dinah got it for me as a joke and I put it up to keep the joke going."

"Mhm," Y/N hummed. "Whatever you say."

Camila was quiet for a little while, playing with her fingers as she rested her hands on her lap.